You think new Mercury outboards are reliable? Think again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I haven't either of them where I boats for years. I know the Opti is still sold. If you dig deep enough, I think Merc is still has 3 naturally aspirated 2 strokes available

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I think marine engines in general will go the way of automotive, just 20 years later. Between 1985 and 1996, automotive engines were finicky, not known for longevity and parts are hard to come by. Compared with 1997 and newer stuff, that has much better reliability and longevity. The FICHT's and first gen opti's were finicky and problematic, but the newest stuff will last a long time thanks to better manufacturing practices.

waterinthefuel

Commander
I think marine engines in general will go the way of automotive, just 20 years later. Between 1985 and 1996, automotive engines were finicky, not known for longevity and parts are hard to come by. Compared with 1997 and newer stuff, that has much better reliability and longevity. The FICHT's and first gen opti's were finicky and problematic, but the newest stuff will last a long time thanks to better manufacturing practices.

I think you're forgetting what will go bad in these newer motors, the electronics. 40 years from now I have a feeling that the computers will be very difficult to come by and if you can find them, they will be astronomically expensive. Old motors were not only simple mechanically, but electronically as well. What happens when you have a 40 year old OB in gorgeous condition with no available computer to operate it?

That problem doesn't exist on a 1976 Johnson 70.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I think you're forgetting what will go bad in these newer motors, the electronics. 40 years from now I have a feeling that the computers will be very difficult to come by and if you can find them, they will be astronomically expensive.
Most of these “computers” which you speak are simple control circuits stuffed in a tamper proof box? Nothing a second year electronics student couldn’t duplicate.

If there is a demand, “computers” will be available to support them. Third party competition will reduce prices below today’s levels.

I would be far more worried about the avability of mechincal than electric parts. Heck, the carbs on my 1997 have been NLA for almost 10 years now

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
remember, the motors, boat, etc. only have a design life of 15 years or so. yes they may last longer, however that is what they are designed to last.

waterinthefuel

Commander
Most of these “computers” which you speak are simple control circuits stuffed in a tamper proof box? Nothing a second year electronics student couldn’t duplicate.

If there is a demand, “computers” will be available to support them. Third party competition will reduce prices below today’s levels.

I would be far more worried about the avability of mechincal than electric parts. Heck, the carbs on my 1997 have been NLA for almost 10 years now

I would love to meet an electronics student that could make an ECU for a modern outboard out of scrap parts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would love to meet an electronics student that could make an ECU for a modern outboard out of scrap parts.

Probably the first time I actually agree with this poster.

Since I actually worked on the design of ECUs for GM, this was a laughable statement.

G

With all this newer technology, and the advent of 4 strokes, with more moving parts. I'm afraid the days of the 30 + year old outboards, running strong are gone. I've spoken to (seasoned) dealers who have told me these newer engines are not expected, nor intended to last like your "Uncle Joe's old 10hp Johnson"

Even today, its not uncommon to see engines from the 70's and 80's, still going strong, (Try finding a nice, un-abused OMC 9.9, 15 or 25 hp motor in nice shape for sale, nobody's giving those up, and if they do, you're paying more than what the motor sold for new)

But these new (and expen$ive) outboards just don't seem to last as long, probably because as they age, and the cost of electronics like ECMs, injectors, etc, make it cost prohibitive to repair them after awhile.

I have all OMC 2 stroke hardware, they all run great, and as along as I can still get parts, I'm a happy camper!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
With all this newer technology, and the advent of 4 strokes, with more moving parts. I'm afraid the days of the 30 + year old outboards, running strong are gone. I've spoken to (seasoned) dealers who have told me these newer engines are not expected, nor intended to last like your "Uncle Joe's old 10hp Johnson"

Even today, its not uncommon to see engines from the 70's and 80's, still going strong, (Try finding a nice, un-abused OMC 9.9, 15 or 25 hp motor in nice shape for sale, nobody's giving those up, and if they do, you're paying more than what the motor sold for new)

But these new (and expen$ive) outboards just don't seem to last as long, probably because as they age, and the cost of electronics like ECMs, injectors, etc, make it cost prohibitive to repair them after awhile.

I have all OMC 2 stroke hardware, they all run great, and as along as I can still get parts, I'm a happy camper!

Stop posting in old threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.