Mild Gas Fume smell normal in aft storage?

tjames09

Recruit
I recently purchased a new to me 2011 Legend 16 xcalibur. The boat is in immaculate shape and wasn't used much by the previous owner. I never noticed any smells when I checked the boat out or when we test it on the waters. After trailering the boat home I noticed that the aft starboard side storage has a gas fume scent (the side the gas vent is on as well). The gas vent itself doesnt smell, just inside the storage. there isnt any tubes or anything in the storage, so Im not sure why it smells (just the anchor and some ropes). The actual aft transom area of the boat doesnt smell, and the entire floor in where the gas tank is is dry. I put my hand everywhere on the inside to make sure gas wasnt leaking, but the entire aft where the tank is dry, and both the storage compartments are also dry. So I dont think gas is leaking.

All the tubes and connections look good, and nothing is rotted or worn. Im somewhat concerned why there would be a fume smell, Ive read that older plastic onboard tank can emit a bit of an odor, the boat is 2011. Im fairly certain theres no leak, but Im thinking its something like a weak connection somewhere causing a bit of a fume leak.

I called a bunch of marinas but everyone's slammed and booking like 3 weeks out now, which is fair considering its the beginning of the year. Im not sure if anyone on here can help, or offer some assistance. I dont know enough to start really tinkering around.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First things first tjames09, :welcome: to iboats. Glad to have you as a new member...

IF you smell gas fumes, then don't stop until you figure out where that is coming from. Gas has its own smell and is easily detected as gas. So trust you nose and keep looking until you fine it. Safety has to be number once. Especially on boats. Remember, if a fire breaks out when you are out on the water, there is no place to run. So follow through with your search.

Have you considered removing the storage box? Maybe you could see if it could be removed to assist in finding the fume leak. I also would use some soapy water mixture on all the fittings with the gas tank and vent lines. It could be one of them and you haven't located it yet.

Also, take out everything in that storage compartment and clean it out with some soap and water to see if the rope and anchor could be the cause. If the rope was ever subjected to gas, it will linger for a long time. JMHO

alldodge

Staff member
Being a 2011 I don't thing there has been enough time for the tank to spring a leak (IF it has an aluminum tank). I would check clamps, and then try filling the tank while your inside the boat watching the hoses. It could be the fill hose or vent has a slight crack.

Just thought of something, being a newer model it may have a sealed tank, sort of. The newer tanks have a charcoal filter and vent lines which are connected together, then feed to the canister. All these connections are another spot to leak

3dcan_rvtc.gif

tjames09

Recruit
Its a plastic tank, 13 gallon, its in the floor, you can see its plastic when you open up the transom hatch.

I checked all the lines and dont see anything leaking, and theres no fuel leaking anywhere (everything dry). I let it air out for a few days and the smell seems to have gone away, but I keep checking on it to make sure.

tjames09

Recruit
Its just strange that the smell comes from one specific hatch. Which is the side closest to the vent. Im wondering if the vent hose is damaged, but its not really accessible as its behind floor boards and foam.