Starter Motor replacement

captmello

Captain
Does anyone replace/rebuild their starter motor as a maintenance item? Or do you just wait for it to fail? My 90 hp johnson outboard is 16 y.o. now, assuming the starter is original and works fine...Just wondering what you guys have done.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Unless you encounter a crank but no start situation and just keep cranking 'til the smoke leaks out of the starter, it usually gives you fair warning that it needs work. If you don't attend to it then, there's a good chance you'll wind up dead in the water.
Mike

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
mine is also 16 yrs old (2001), I disassembled it 2 months ago due to starting issues, all was good, checked, cleaned and reassembled, ended up being battery and wiring issues. otherwise wouldn't of bothered it.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
The starter on a 90HP Force got so it was cranking slow. After checking all connections and batt load test I pulled the starter, disassembled and cleaned it. Put some grease in the shaft bushings and it cured the problem for 9 yrs until I sold it.
Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Even if it is working fine, at that age it would be perfectly reasonable to have the brushes replaced as a minimum. Most starter/generator shops can also replace the end plate bushings and dress up the commutator thus giving you an essentially new generator for a very reasonable outlay.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Easy to do yourself.----I install brushes all the time at $4.50 a set.--Bit of lube on shaft and re-assemble.--Nothing to it if you make a simple tool to hold brushes in place.

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a putty knife , spatula or other similar flat item, but cut a slot down the middle of it the width of the starter shaft so the tool can be slid out.