Evinrude 112 SPL

chevysam41

Seaman
Hello,
I am Going today to look at a boat with what I think is either a 96 or 97 (based on the hood decal) evinrude 112 Spl. I was wondering what kind of reputation these motors have as I don't see a whole lot of general info.

Guy selling the motor said that they blew a piston on the water and had the motor rebuilt in 2015. I do not know to what extent or if it was done by a dealer, but he has the receipt so I'll find out. Motor has been cranked once since it was rebuilt in 2015 and stored outside on the boat under a shed.

I plan to check the compression and maybe LU pressure if he is ok with it. This will be the first boat I've bought, and not built. Whatever i end up with, is it standard to ask to see it on the water before purchase? I've see motors run ok on muffs but pig out in the water.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Good solid motors, but it seams like they all break rings, it should run well for a long time after a rebuild though.

​The design and technology is very old, other brands from the same years are decades newer in design.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Originally the " special " models were offered without oil injection and no power trim / tilt.-----At a more attractive price.--------As stated a simple / easy to maintain motor.------Do that compression test.-----And a water test as well.----Post pictures of motor and that receipt.

chevysam41

Seaman
Well I went out yesterday and forgot my compression tester 😑.

I took a look at it anyways. Boat and motor seem to be ok, conditionally, (besides being covered in dust and pollen). Didn't do a water test but if we decide to go for it I will definitely ask for one.

I've attached a few pics. Owner is asking $7,300, which, from the nada guide seems a bit high. What do you guys think? Can't remember year of the boat but I don't think they made the stratos 1900 sportsman before 1994.

Edit: need to figure out how to upload pics