Model # Location

Polara Pat

Seaman
I picked up this fusty old Evinrude to tinker on but I can't for the life of me find the model number. This motor was originally blue so the model number may be filled with red paint. There is a serial number tag but that doesn't help me with year and size. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo263309.JPG
    photo263309.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263310.jpg
    photo263310.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0

Polara Pat

Seaman
1951-52 25hp model# 2001
Thanks for that. I'm keen to learn more about these motors. Everything moves freely, it seems to have good compression and a weak spark but a spark none the less. Novice question, but are these motors desirable and worth restoration? I think it looks great as is but the original blue would be better.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you dont WANT it restored, dont restore it. To get it right will likely cost you more then you'll sell it for, plus have done the work for free.

If you want to get it running, great. But as a learning experience, a post 1957 motor might be easier to source parts for.

Polara Pat

Seaman
If you dont WANT it restored, dont restore it. To get it right will likely cost you more then you'll sell it for, plus have done the work for free.

If you want to get it running, great. But as a learning experience, a post 1957 motor might be easier to source parts for.

I appreciate this honest answer and having restored a few cars and motorcycles, I know that the time, energy and money invested can often not be worth any kind of return. Is there a ball park price I could ask for this motor given the info provided? It almost seems a shame for me to just sit on this little gem when skilled builders are looking for good project motors.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Non-running, probably sub 100.

Coils
Wiring
Hoses
Etc

Nearly all will need replacement

Dont run it at all w out water barrel or muffs

Plus for most (all?) its the wrong color which will need to be redone

There might be someone over at AOMCI that NEEDS it as a parts motor for their project. Still sub 100, but it would be a good use, certainly better then sold for scrap. But many of those guys want even older motors it seems.

FYI, I just bought this complete, good compression and spark 1958 Johnson 35hp w a spare head assembly for $100
IMG_9608-1_zpszwcarimi.jpg

So there are those out there that would want it. Just gotta find them ....

Just remember iboats doesnt permit sales amd offers in the open forum so keep the discussion about selling it general info and not a For Sale ad.

Polara Pat

Seaman
Non-running, probably sub 100.

Coils
Wiring
Hoses
Etc

Nearly all will need replacement

Dont run it at all w out water barrel or muffs

Plus for most (all?) its the wrong color which will need to be redone

There might be someone over at AOMCI that NEEDS it as a parts motor for their project. Still sub 100, but it would be a good use, certainly better then sold for scrap. But many of those guys want even older motors it seems.

FYI, I just bought this complete, good compression and spark 1958 Johnson 35hp w a spare head assembly for $100
IMG_9608-1_zpszwcarimi.jpg

So there are those out there that would want it. Just gotta find them ....

Just remember iboats doesnt permit sales amd offers in the open forum so keep the discussion about selling it general info and not a For Sale ad.

Thanks again, I'll probably just keep it and do a slow parts collection and refurbish the case when I have time. Last couple questions. Am I looking at eBay or the like for ignition parts and where do I source the right paint. I've been struggling to find good reference images and info on this motor.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thats why I mentioned post 1957, more info and parts, IMO, available.

I have a 53 and a 54 25hp that arent as easy to source.

Check your private messages.