New two small outboard motors

Benjir

Cadet
I recently was given a 12 foot johnboat by my parents neighbor. I'm trying to get it up to where me and my wife can take it fishing and am currently looking for a small outboard motor. I'm finding a lot of different manufacturers and prices out there. Can you guys give me some brand names maybe even models to look for?

Of course I'm like everyone else and I am on a budget but I am willing to pay a little bit more for quality ease of parts and things like that currently I'm considering a Firestone 3 1/2 hp only because it's cheap and runs Thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
You'll likely want something between 3 and 10 HP. Stick with Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury/Yamaha for best parts support. Honda's might be good also but I'm not as familiar with them. Weight starts to get kinda up there a bit when you get closer to 10 HP. I have an Evinrude 4HP Deluxe about a 1989 that's a real gem. It doesn't plane it of course but it pushes our little 14' real nice with 3 people.

Benjir

Cadet
What about that firestone motor? The guy wants $80 for it vs 300-400 for a similar aged evinrude or Johnson. I can't find a lot on the firestone motors. Any one know much about them?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
It's super old and parts are prolly pretty tough to find. It's basically an antique.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
firestone never made motors. they were re-badged someone else motors.

I believe that they were either Scott or McColloch or West Bend.

parts are hard to find.

I would get a motor made after 1985

robert graham

Admiral
Depending on how far and how fast you want to go, Honda makes a darn nice 2.3 HP motor, air cooled, 4 stroke, weighs 28lbs, centrifugal clutch(no gears), quiet and dependable, might find a used one for $800 to $1000, new is about $1100.....just an idea for you..

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What about that firestone motor? The guy wants $80 for it vs 300-400 for a similar aged evinrude or Johnson. I can't find a lot on the firestone motors. Any one know much about them?
That is a scott/McCulloch motor the parts are available for them but you really need to search. I would look for an evinrude 6 hp 1970 or newer parts are very available and can be found cheap. They are a sweet little motor that also have a gearshift. The firestone is probably no newer than 1960.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Have to agree with flyingscott.I picked up a 6hp johnson (1974?) as a kicker.What a sweet little kicker motor.Great for a small boat ,plentiful parts ,easy to work on,realiable and only about a million or so made so readily available.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I would strongly agree with flyingscott and 82rude. I bought a 1972 Johnson 6hp in 2010 and had it for three years. During that time I did almost nothing to it yet it always started right up and ran great. It moved a small lightweight jon boat along nicely. I paid $300 for that motor.