1954 15 hp vs 1966 9.5 hp Outboard Ratings

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I currently own 67 outboards, ranging from 1919 to 2007. All but 2 run, but naturally the "antiques" are relegated to short runs on an antique boat.

Nevertheless, my favorite of all time is my 1970 Evinrude 9 1/2. I've owned it since 1986 and other than regular maintenance it has never been touched. After snoozing all Winter long it starts on the second pull. 99% of the other times it starts on the first pull. When the boys were pre-teens, and with the four of us in the boat, near full throttle was required to get us across the lake, and we ran her like this all the time.

Most reliable motor I ever owned. I never new they were problematic until today...

82rude

Rear Admiral
I would take a 15 over a 9hp range ob everytime as long as both are the same health.Weight diff is minor,the 15 will handle passengers better also.I have not seen a 9.5 in decades but that means squat.Out of the 67 do you have anything unusual jimS123?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I would take a 15 over a 9hp range ob everytime as long as both are the same health.Weight diff is minor,the 15 will handle passengers better also.I have not seen a 9.5 in decades but that means squat.Out of the 67 do you have anything unusual jimS123?
Depends on what you call unusual.

I don't have a Waterman or a Caille, but I do have 2 Evinrude Model A Rowboat Motors and 2 Elto Ruddertwins.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Unusual i quess would be something like a mac 10 wankel or wasnt there an outboard that was pull design instead or push design prop.Still would be cool to see a collection like yours/I met a guy that had 70 plus outboards as a matter of fact he sold me a 53 25 hp evinrude years ago_One of my favs is the 39 22.5 evinrude opposed twin that though not rare still gets lots of attention exspecially from younger teens who think it sick.Ive had a few come up and grill me to no end about that motor and they seemed to love it.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday I pulled the little boat into the yard, put the 1/4 drum under the LU, filled it with water, filled the gas tank and fired old Oly up. He's ready to go fishin'!!
Mike

Weirdboymike

Seaman
Just an update. Already getting ready for this year's trip. I have been running the '54 15 hp with no issues. Runs like a dream.

BTW didn't mean to start an uproar on newer vs vintage lol.

I was just trying to find out how the different means rating hp through the years compare.

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I currently own 67 outboards, ranging from 1919 to 2007. All but 2 run, but naturally the "antiques" are relegated to short runs on an antique boat.

Have you considered getting some counseling?;)

Juyst kidding. I'm glad to see someone keeping the old classics going.:triumphant:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Want to start a uproar over anything boat related just mention old vs new ,2 vs 4 stroke,ethonol,best oil .Truth be told it would be a pretty boring world if everybody liked or thought the same.If I was wealthy id buy a Scripps v12 just to put in the garage on a large pedestal just because its a beautiful work of art.Nice to see your enjoying the 15 they are great motors almost as good as the 57/58 18hp johnsons.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Have you considered getting some counseling?;)

Juyst kidding. I'm glad to see someone keeping the old classics going.:triumphant:

Old thread. I'm up to 69 now.

My buddy and I retired about the same time. All he knows to do is golf at 6:00 AM and of course he is "required" to walk his wife's freakin dog. If its raining he can't golf and the dog is in the back yard so he has to pick up freakin poop too.

I have a fun thing planned for every day. I think he's the one that needs counseling.

BTW my car is a classic too. Running old things is a joy. They don't build them like they used to.

My wife is old like me, and she runs better than she ever did too......

thatone123

Banned
The truth is that there are no good LIGHTWEIGHT portables made today compared to the OMC 70's /90's which I run exclusively and I can afford any ob I want and have used most in this hp range. The next question that would be fun to go into is what is the best and most efficient and reliable, the 74 to early 90's low profile or the later model with the more usual regular looking cowling and over the flywheel starter. I use both and can not decide. The later model seems to have more power, but not as bulletproof in my opinion as the early low profile models. More plastic ( but modular and more easy to work on) and parts made in Margaritaville. This series of OMC's are well loved by many and made for many years for a reason.