What outboard brands need special tools?

thatone123

Banned
I know some are needed on Honda and E-Tec. What other brands need special tools?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mercury, Yamaha, and Suzuki. Older OMC also need some specific tools as well.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Almost any outboard is going to need special tools for certain repairs. What specific repairs are you thinking of?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, all OB's needs proper tooling if wanting removing parts professionally done. If not ,will need to be sifficiently skilled removing parts with a hand shear & hammer....

Happy Boating

thatone123

Banned
It seems a lot of the special tools are for lower unit gear case's, and 4 stroke heads. I myself have seldom needed much more, but then have not worked on all models and makes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
all of them need special tools, and its a lot more than the lower unit and 4-strokes.

every manufacturer has special tools to make working on their equipment easier for them to manufacture

special screw drivers for carbs, special wrenches for everything from the prop to the flywheel special locking tools to hold the flywheel, special gauges for setting gears, fixtures to align parts, etc.

can you do most of the work without them, yes, however having the right tool makes things a whole lot easier and a hundred times faster

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It really would be a much shorter list for outboards that don't need special tools