Outboard motor - locking reverse/forward

AAusbro51

Cadet
I have an older outboard that appears to have some parts removed from it involving it's manual tilt/release abilities. I bought this boat from a fella that didn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold and I'm discovering little odds and ends that are throwing up some flags. It's my first boat, so I'm okay with dealing with much of these "situations".

It's a 1978 Johnson with manual tilt.
The locking bracket for pulling the boat around on the trailer (all the way up) works fine. No problem there.
However, when you lower the motor down, it has a locking *click* once it reaches the large pin at the bottom ... and it stays there. When the motor is in gear - forwards or reverse - it is still locked. Nothing changes. I can see where some parts used to be - and I can tell that not everything is there.

I have read that an outboard should NEVER be locked down when traveling forwards because of rocks/logs/etc. "When" I hit something, it could be catastrophic.
I have also read that it's helpful for the motor to be locked down when it's moving in reverse to prevent cavitation/popping up.

That being said, this motor is old. I'll be happy if I can get a couple seasons out of it. My local shops won't touch it because of it's age. I'd rather not dig through the parts diagrams and put it back together (I'm positive not all the parts are there).

So... I know it's not ideal... but am I doing anything horrific if I disable the downward "lock"? I think it may be WAY better than tearing the transom off the back of the boat and destroying the motor completely. Reverse would have to be slow and ultra aware, as well. I'm thinking it may be the lesser of two evils.

Looking for some rule of thumb wisdom/advise.

Thanks!!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
For a temporary solution that seems ok to me, so long as you're SURE you're not going to be in any situation where you gotta reverse suddenly to avoid collision (if that is possible? )

My guess is that there is something missing or worn out like a link arm between a shift lock cam (in the foot) and the grab hooks, the shift lock cam itself, or retractor spring(s) at the grab hooks.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What motor do you, have need a model# . The manual locking systems on those motors in general are a breakaway system. If you hit something it will release and let the motor pop up. You can't really disable it because it holds the motor down in reverse without it the prop will pop out of the water every time you try to back up. If you have an emergency situation you won't have reverse.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You can grind down the hooks a little so it won't grab as hard that will make it release easier.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Usually unlock OB when boating through floating debris, say large wooden pieces, logs, if lower leg hits these at speed OB will rise accordingly to the speed the combo is running.

When unlocked and on reverse, OB will rise accordingly to reverse speed to lock up. If need to reverse fast simply unlock it previous hitting throttle, if not in a hurry simply throttle much less for OB not to rise. Have both situations well dialed on my head and hand, it's done automatically. LOL!!

Some say that when hittting something at forward speed while ln locked position, OB "should rise" to a sudden unlock. If so, definitely will unlock much harder than when rising freely at unlocked position. Have not tried it, don?t want to experiment breaking something for the sake of seing if that will occur..

Happy Boating