Running Outboard in my Garage

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I also run my OB's in a cut-down blue plastic barrel just like fishin98 shows. PT&T (if you have it) makes that process rather easy.

For my old 70hp, I cut down a crappy old dinged-up aluminum prop into a test prop that allows me to rev up in gear for setting timing and whatnot...though for my OptiMax 125 (or your 150) I don't think even a cut-down prop would be safe to spin in that barrel! Maybe a genuine test prop...

(As BaylinerChuck says, I do notice that the old 70hp really makes a frothy, nasty mess of that water...while the DFI 2-stroke leaves the water clean enough to dump on the landscaping; gotta love progress!)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Curious why you can't just pull it out of the garage and put some muffs on it. Let me guess, it's due to HOA regs. Mike

Yep, was asking same myself. If not a legal or neighbor issue, flush combo outside garage. Flushing on barrel is a PITA cleaning issue afterwords specially if it's a 2 strokes OB.

Happy Boating

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When you say cleaning issue, are you simply referring cosmetically to the outside of the lower unit?

If so, this does not matter to me in the least. I have not washed my boat in three years of retrieving bleeding fish from stained water. I only quickly rinse the boat, trailer, reels, and flush the engine after every outing. Got better things to do with my time then spend it the way most people do cleaning their boat. Same goes for my ATV, two Travel Trailers, and two Vehicles.

I do, however, make certain that all of my toy's features are 100% functional. This in itself is time consuming. Except for one, they are all old................and all are paid for.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Cleaning more or lesss oily residue inside barrel and lower leg will depend entirely on the time spent while OB was flushed. Other issues : you can't cool any OB already running in hot water for long time periods. Can end overheating the OB..

For that will need a hose that pours fresh water at upper barrel and a faucet at lower barrell to release heated water for temp to remain at good working temp.

Running oily water through the entire powerhead is bad as can form an oil film in water passages when OB cools down that will lessen the coolong capabilities of the OB, that's mentioned in some OB's Owners Manuals to be aware of.

Happy Boating

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Running oily water through the entire powerhead is bad as can form an oil film in water passages when OB cools down that will lessen the cooling capabilities of the OB said:
Good Point.......Thanks

I have neglected mentioning in this thread that I only want to run engine for max of about 5 minutes. Basically, I just want to make sure it starts up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Cleaning more or lesss oily residue inside barrel and lower leg will depend entirely on the time spent while OB was flushed. Other issues : you can't cool any OB already running in hot water for long time periods. Can end overheating the OB..

For that will need a hose that pours fresh water at upper barrel and a faucet at lower barrell to release heated water for temp to remain at good working temp.

Running oily water through the entire powerhead is bad as can form an oil film in water passages when OB cools down that will lessen the coolong capabilities of the OB, that's mentioned in some OB's Owners Manuals to be aware of.

Happy Boating

Oily water can also destroy a new rubber impeller if the barrel isn't drained and refilled with fresh water periodically. I know.

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Already answered water flow and temp questions too!

"Back on topic.............now that I know a 30 gal plastic trash can will work, I will get one, attach a water tight hose near bottom for draining the water constantly coming in from another supply hose dropped into the can from top."

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Putting an engine in gear without a prop could cause over-revving. You need to use a test prop.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Happy Boating

I have to ask how you get warm/hot water to go to the bottom of the barrel?
Mike

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I have to ask how you get warm/hot water to go to the bottom of the barrel?
Mike

Why would you like doing so ? can flush an OB on a barrel filled with water, buy eventually all contained water will be heated at same temp as exhaust will move water around barrel. For my OB's, muffs all the way to go.

Happy Boating