Running Outboard in my Garage

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 150 O/B Yamaha. I would like to obtain an appropriate plastic bucket, 1/2 50 gal drum, container, or whatever I could use to run the engine without having to tow it out of the garage. Of course I would have to run a water hose to the container, connect another sealed hose at side to drain the container, and then deflect the tell tail into the container.

Any suggestions on what container to use and where to find it?

Thanks much!

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Running O/Board in Garage.

Dupe from forum running slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Running O/Board in Garage?

Dupe from forum running slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Go to the store and buy a garbage can and a bucket. It's that simple.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer

I see what you did there lol!

Yes as GA stated, any trash barrel should work perfectly fine. I would do it outside personally due to the fact that water splashes everywhere and you don't want the exhaust gasses to build up in the garage

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, black plastic garbage can....and you can sorta scoot the can under the lower unit while tilting motor down....no need to cut can in 1/2.....the water will get pretty darn hot in a hurry from the exhaust, so be aware of it....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A $15 garbage can from lowes.

Not going to post it 3 times.....lol

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Believe it or not, I am an expert computer user. Duplicates happened because "working" button when trying to post seemed frozen. Waited close to 5 minutes before attempting again to post. Obviously all eventually worked.

Back on topic.............now that I know a 30 gal plastic trash can will work, I will get one, attach a water tight hose near bottom for draining the water constantly coming in from another supply hose dropped into the can from top. Ventilation will not be an issue with an 18 ft vehicle door and my side pedestrian door open and my exhaust fan running. Am not concerned about a little splashing water, if I get any at all. Will divert tell tail into can or just plug it!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
If I type a long post, I copy it before posting.
If the "working"indicator gets froze, just refresh the page.
More often than not, the post was made.
If not, just paste the text to the dialog box and try again.
Seems to happen often on this forum.

Back on topic, measure your lower unit, make sure it will fit in trash can.
Can must be several inches wider, than the gearcase is long, or you won't get it in there.
Height of water intakes when boat is on the trailer, will dictate how tall the container needs to be.

Oh, water will splash out.

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If I type a long post, I copy it before posting.
If the "working"indicator gets froze, just refresh the page.
More often than not, the post was made.
If not, just paste the text to the dialog box and try again.
Seems to happen often on this forum.

I typically do exactly this, but not becuase I ever anticipate having to refresh the page........usually to counter some other problem with the forum, like too short timeframes before logging out for example. I did not do it here the first time because it was a relatively short post.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you're being logged off, click Remember Me when you log in. You can go weeks without the need to log in.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Curious why you can't just pull it out of the garage and put some muffs on it. Let me guess, it's due to HOA regs.
Mike

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Curious why you can't just pull it out of the garage and put some muffs on it. Let me guess, it's due to HOA regs.
Mike

Nope. Not HOA Regs. It's 68 yr old TDP laziness plus his anal attitude. I actually enjoy running and revving up the engine unmuffled in my driveway for the "benefit" of my extremely inconsiderate adjacent neighbor that owns an almost non-stop barking dog. However, even though I have a 34 ft deep 3 car garage (that garages boat, ATV on trailer, and an extensive workshop), it's still a PITA to move wife's car from driveway, retrieve truck from other driveway, hook up, pull out, and then reverse the process..... and get boat EXACTLY (within an inch or so) back where I want it for complete and unobstructed walk around garage access. All this just to start engine periodically for only a few minutes.....like every few weeks in the off season or when doing maintenance.

Plus muffs, although marginally adequate, are not the recommended method for running engine out of the water. The big bucket (trash can) with continuous cool water feed is. Submerging the pump intake insures more than just marginally adequate water flow. I have been told this by more than one professional marine mechanic. One I use occasionally does not even own a pair of muffs!

Heck, I might even put an on/off valve in the drain hose and custom cut the can top to minimize splashing. Or I might just install a larger diameter drain hose up higher than the pump water intake.....to insure that can does not overflow.

Just have to remember not to put engine in gear unless prop is removed!

Lazy and anal enough?

TDP

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you're being logged off, click Remember Me when you log in. You can go weeks without the need to log in.

Even with the 'remember me' checked, I get kicked off every couple of days. ??????

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Go to a barrel company and purchase a plastic barrel, rather than a flimsy garbage can. Cut the barrel down to fit your needs, then drill a small hole at the bottom, insert a nut and bolt to drain the barrel half. When your motor is in the barrel, and filled with water, the noise of the engine running is greatly reduced. I would not recommend running in your garage.
xd56c8.jpg

5b1s38.jpg

16jii6e.jpg

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Spin the prop and the barrel will be empty quick if its more than a 6 hp :p

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I hated using a barrel for my 90hp Johnson. Cleaning the exhaust residue off the motor was a pain. Besides, I hated to deprive my neighbors of the wonderful music of a 4 cylinder 2 stroke and exhaust. I too have yippy dogs next door! Lol.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Running in a barrel as posted is SAFER than running on muffs as a accidental gear engagement could get ugly quickly.