Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Understanding Outboard vs. Inboard Engines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Outboard vs. Inboard Engines

This topic has been discussed multiple times before, but couldn't find any current or specific enough - so here goes...how do they compare in the following categories:

ASSUMPTION! Comparisons are of boats in near-equal size, weight, usage, age, type; e.g., 1998-2002 18ft bowrider under 2,000lbs dry (no motor) for cruising & mild water sports.

1) Fuel Economy: would a Merc. 3.0L 135hp I/O use less gas than a 2 stroke oil injected 90-115hp outboard? If not, are they about same consumption or is OB better?
    2) Power: would Merc. 3.0L 135hp I/O be of about equal speed & torque to 2 stroke oil injected outboard of 90-115hp? If not, are they same or is OB better?
    3) Noise: would Merc. 3.0L 135hp outboard be more quiet? Same or OB quieter?
    4) Longevity, maintenance, reliability, etc: how might they compare?
    5) Are there any technological changes that took place with 2stroke OBs that would change any of the above (fuel injection, etc., that would change any of the above - if so, roughly what years were those changes?
    Last edited by Rookster; March 25th, 2017, 02:38 PM.

1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. Depend on outboard and your skills
    5. The only 2-stroke motors left with efi are the E-tecs

On an 18' boat, both motors would be underpowered, and the 3.0 would not be my choice for watersports
    1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
      On an 18' boat, both motors would be underpowered, and the 3.0 would not be my choice for watersports
      Thanks - didn't know that about the Etecs!

But hey...so is there a maximum boat length that you feel is appropriate for a 3.0L? And, is it really boat length that matters or is it really not weight? Or, is it both and why?

Comment

the 3.0 is the entry level I/O motor. its a dinosaur as far as technology and hasnt changed much since its 1962 2.5 liter little brother. other than the longer stroke and it being made in mexico for the industrial division of GM (trash pump motors and marine motors) there is little difference than the 153 cubic inch motor designed 65 years ago

the 3.0 uses more fuel than the 4.3, is somewhat loud (louder than a 4.3 or 5.0 although quieter than most 2-strokes) and is somewhat anemic on power.

I had it in a 1650# (including motor and drive) boat that was just over 16' long. it got me to quite a few fishing spots, it pulled tubes ok (since your only doing 20mph), however pulling skiers required dropping pitch from 19 to 15 to get a proper hole shot and holding it against the throttle stops to keep the speed up if someone wanted to slalom. it wasn't a power house.

If I was looking for a 18' boat, I would be looking for a 4.3 or 5.0 myself.
        1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

You would really want to have a 4.3L V6 sterndrive or a 150HPV6 outboard on a 18 footer. The 3.0 or 115HP OB would work, but not give great performance, IMO.

That being said, if both motors have carbs, the sterndrive will use less fuel, but will have more, expensive maintence. It will also add about 1K pounds of weight to the boat, as it weighs in at 1100#. You may need a stronger tow vehicle for the I.O version of the boat.

Now if you buy a modern Direct Injection Outboard and compare it to a new fuel injected sterndrive, the results will be different. IMO, the outboard will use less fuel, have less maintenance, and weigh much less than the sterndrive.

Comment

HP to HP being equal, the OB will perform better due to less weight, on the order of 300-400 lbs or so. The OB will need less maintenance over time. The OB will be simpler and easier to winterize. The I/O will be cheaper to repower if you need an new engine at some point. It used to be that I/Os had a price advantage over OBs on new boats, because emissions caught up with 2 stroke outboards faster than it did with I/Os which were always 4 strokes. But now that I/Os must have EFI and cat converter exhaust the engine packages are comparable in price to OBs. So now you are seeing OBs on boats where you have not seen them for more than 20 years, like on the back of small to medium sport boats, not just fishing boats. I was just at the Nassau County Boat show in Long Island NY and we saw 2 mid size Sea Rays side by side, the I/O was slightly longer, the OB had about the same room and was actually cheaper.
            1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
            4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Since the Merc 4.3 V6 is a more complex motor than the 3.0 I4, with more parts and hence more to break, all else being equal, wouldn't it logically be more expensive over time to repair?

And a 4.3L sitting in a boat behind a bench seat/under a sunpad, isn't all that tougher to access than with a 3.0L?

Comment

Originally posted by Rookster View Post
                Since the Merc 4.3 V6 is a more complex motor than the 3.0 I4, with more parts and hence more to break, all else being equal, wouldn't it logically be more expensive over time to repair?
                Only if you use in salt water since there is one more manifold.

Oh yeah...and 2 more spark plugs and spark plug wires!
                1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                "Common sense is not very common"
                "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb58 View Post
                  Only if you use in salt water since there is one more manifold.

Oh yeah...and 2 more spark plugs and spark plug wires!
                  Don't forget two more cylinders! Lol

Comment

And a 4.3L sitting in a boat behind a bench seat/under a sunpad, isn't all that tougher to access than with a 3.0L?

If the 4.3 was throttled back to the 3.0s top speed, it would be less strained and would be less prone to failure. As for access, a lot depends on how the boat manufacturer designs the stern of the boat. I have a V8 and it is quite accessible(full width sunpad), but I have seen some boats with the 3 liter where the access was very poor.
                    Last edited by jimmbo; March 25th, 2017, 08:31 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

I have a 3.0 on a 17.5 foot boat. 15x17 prop. It pops right out of the water. I won't win many races but I can top out at 37 mph. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigskyboat View Post
                        I have a 3.0 on a 17.5 foot boat. 15x17 prop. It pops right out of the water. I won't win many races but I can top out at 37 mph. Just my two cents.
                        Bigskyboat, what boat do you have - or what's the dry weight?

Comment

I'm not sure on the weight, it's a 1997 crestliner 1750 sportfish.

Comment

Don't forget two more cylinders! Lol
                            If you are concerned about when your engine finally needs to be replaced...there is ZERO difference new and will be way cheaper used to find a 4.3.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/base-m...s-c-31_46.html

1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                            Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                            Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                            "Common sense is not very common"
                            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Actually since the 4.3 was used in millions of trucks, as well as thousands of gensets, trash pumps and a few million boats and the 3.0 is used in trash pumps, hydraulic power units and a few hundred thousand boats, its actually much cheaper to repair the 4.3

Rebuilding a 4.3 is about the same cost as a 3.0

Past Boats

Comment

Working...
                              X