Opinions on some outboards for a Starcraft Project.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Skip to the Edit at the bottom of this post if you like. What can I say sometimes I go around in circles before I reach my destination.:facepalm:

So I have 16 foot 64 Starcraft ( Aluminum ) Jupiter that I'm going to start a restoration on, and it didn't come with a motor or controls. So I've been keeping an eye out for a candidate. I'm wanting opinions on a few motors I've found on Craigslist. I have a 75hp Chrysler on our 16 foot Super Sport and have been well pleased with its reliability and ease of maintenance. However I'm not against any motor that would be reliable and easy to repair.

I'm planning on putting seating for 4 adults and am going to lay it out like a typical runabout so a motor size that will give a good cruising speed is what I'm thinking would be best. Something in the 50hp-85hp range.

Here are a few I've run across and a link to the thread where I picked up the Jupiter.

Edit::: We are now looking for a motor for a 1981 Starcraft SS160 rated at 90hp. We're going to put the 75hp Chrysler on the Jupiter and look for something with power tilt and trim for the SS.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
This 40 hp Johnson I may pick up just because it's so cheap and play around with it.

Tnstratofam

Commander
This 85 hp Evinrude doesn't have controls, but if I can find controls for a decent price this could be a good upgrade for our SS.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What HP is it rated for?

While you have a Chrysler now (I've owned them too), I'd go a different direction with the next motor. Older than about 1988 go OMC, from there to the mid 90's go Merc or OMC, after that most are at least good.

​Don't buy an old motor if you can help it, you can buy mid 90's and up for about the same price as something from the early 80's or older, you just need to look around.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Highly recommend the 85 swap to the SS and putting a well known 75 motor on the Jup, esp as a graduation gift. A known motor would be highly advised.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Yes I should mention budget is going to be $1000 or less for the motor and controls and the Jupiter is going to stay in the family. It will be a High School graduation gift for my step son even though it probably won't be finished by May when he actually graduates. I'm not sure what the max hp rating is for the Jupiter but for our 16 SS it is 90hp. I like the idea of upgrading the motor on the SS and possibly swapping the Chrysler over to the Jupiter. I am not in a hurry, but need to get the ball rolling so to speak. The budget could go up towards the $1500 range if I find something for the SS.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Here is a donor boat with an 85hp Suzuki with power trim that is supposed to work. I could pick it up and scrap the boat and resell the trailer to recoup some of the money.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think that mid 60s Jup has an 85hp max capacity. And I doubt you'd put a 90 on it and leave the 75 on the SS.

IMO, shop for a motor for the SS, and plan to use the Chrysler on the Jup..... Only reason not to would be deciding whiich will be in the family longer, the SS or the Jup.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Okay well this went a little sideways. I guess it really makes sense to search for something for the SS since it will likely be in the family longer than the Jupiter. I have to admit I'm pretty partial to the Chrysler. I even have a lead on a 70hp on a donor boat I looked at last fall that I can pick up for around $400 boat, motor, trailer and all.

It would be nice to have power tilt and trim over the manual tilt the Chrysler has.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
The donor 70 would be a fine motor for the Jup too.

Just keep your options open, no hurry for a Jup motor yet and its nearly boating season for the SS....

Go look at a few motors or donors, look for ANYTHING 70-90hp, and whatever you find 1st, at the right price and condition, drag it home. Then decide which boat gets the new motor.

Could always keep the Chrysler on the SS until its time for the Jup to go, then swap motors before sale.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely no old Suzukis, Tohatsus, or Yamahas, you won't find parts. Get a main stream brand that has parts available everywhere.

Tnstratofam

Commander
The donor 70 would be a fine motor for the Jup too.

Just keep your options open, no hurry for a Jup motor yet and its nearly boating season for the SS....

Go look at a few motors or donors, look for ANYTHING 70-90hp, and whatever you find 1st, at the right price and condition, drag it home. Then decide which boat gets the new motor.

Could always keep the Chrysler on the SS until its time for the Jup to go, then swap motors before sale.

This is likely how this will progress. I'm going to leave the SS as is until the Jup is finished, and I've figured out a replacement motor for the SS. In the meantime if I find a decent motor that will work on the Jup for good money then I will pick it up. I have plenty of storage room for a few motors and I can always sell what I don't use after a good cleaning and tune up for more money.

Also thanks for the advice ondarvr on the brands. I will keep my eyes open for OMC or Mercs in the years you suggested. Oh and of course Chryslers too.

I think sometimes I channel Frank Acampora so don't be surprised if I always have a Chrysler in the stable.:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
No Title

The holy grail motor for a 16' Starcraft is a 3 cylinder 90HP Yamaha. After that a 3 cylinder 70-75 OMC would be great. I don't know much about Mercs. I share your affinity for the old dorm fridges although I've never owned one. I always thought the big Chryslers were awesome looking. Who wouldn't want this big monster on the back?

Attachments

• photo260845.jpg
    photo260845.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Also thanks for the advice ondarvr on the brands. I will keep my eyes open for OMC or Mercs in the years you suggested. Oh and of course Chryslers too.

​Kind of like a teenage girl and the "bad boy" she's in love with, it makes no sense when you look back on it a decade later, but it's a romantic mistake at the time, that is if she wised up and dumped the guy.

​I had a couple too, and never going back.

The 3 cylinder Yamaha is a good motor, a little hard to find though.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I went totally backwards for my boating puproses,lol.I retired in 2012 and bought myself a new 2011 60hp evinrude etec and put it on my 17foot cedarstrip for a couple of years and then due to not being a rough weather or fishing boat i picked up an old 1976 ss 160.She,s an old battle wagon but im totally happy with the combo.I can still get mid 30,s performance.For the jupiter how about totally out of the box and look for a homelite bearcat!The original 4 stroke ! In 55 or 85hp?

Tnstratofam

Commander
I'm going Friday to look at a 1991 Johnson 90hp with power tilt and trim and controls. It's still on a boat so I should be able to hear it run and check compression. It is being sold by a boat yard that I trust pretty good, but I will be on the lookout. I will ask them to pressure test the lower unit before I deccide to pull the trigger and buy it. They said $1500 if the compression test turns out okay. I don't know the hours on it yet. Does this seem like a fair
price if in good condition?

This will be for our SS160 and then I can put the 75hp Chrysler on the Jup if I haven't found something else in the meantime.

I worry that anything below a 60hp will be to small for the Jup. Especially with 4 adults plus gear.