Bayliner Capry 1993. What engine?

Rebel_way

Recruit
Hi there.
My name is Roman and I want to introduce myself into the fun world of boating.
I wanted to buy a boat for some time and finally settled down with what I want.
I was looking into this add on my local craigslist page https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5983815232.html
So this boat will need repairs, but first I have to figure out what engine type and out drive it might have to proceed with getting closer to idea how hard it will be to fix it keeping in mind that my knowledge of how boat works is limited to nothing, but I do wrench my own SUV so I have no problem with working on tools.
If you guys can redirect this post or give me some links on the subject I will greatly appreciate that.

Thank you.
Roman.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: Welcome Roman.

The description in the Ad is vague, BUT it is probably is the Force "L" drive. My opinion . . . Please move onto another boat. . . this would not be a good experience for you (or anyone).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

I agree with Ted, skip this boat for two reasons. first, it has the L-drive second, its a early 90's bayliner that is most likely rotted and needs a full gut-n-restoration

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
As mentioned, it's the Force L-drive. Force outboards have been out of production for many years and parts and service are getting slim. The L drive was kinda a weird inboard/outboard configuration Bayliner/Maxum tried for a couple years using a Force outboard powerhead. You can only imagine how sparse the support for that would be. I would not consider this boat.

Rebel_way

Recruit
Oh wow!...
I guess I'd better cross this boat out of my list.
Thank you guys for an eye opener:)
What will be your suggested type of a boat/motor/drive then?
I would love to get something with a caddy cabin.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The only Inboard outboard drive I would consider if I was buying one, is a GM motor and a Mercury out drive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Something much newer also. Wood rot in structural members is worse than mechanical repairs. While Mercury is the most common in most places I would not mind at all having a middle aged boat with a Volvo SX drive, they are very good and have a number of advantages over the Merc Alpha.

Rebel_way

Recruit
Initially I was looking for outboard boats only. The idea of having outboard engine is most appealing to me and I cant tell why. I just came across this one and took it into consideration.
What engines do you guys recommend in outbord sector then?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Force and Chrysler outboards have been obsolete for a long time so parts/service for them isn't too great. Johnson/Evinrude still have fantastic parts support from BRP all they way back through the 1970's. Mercurys are decent too but some of the older ones aren't as well supported. Yamahas have good support. Older Suzukis a bit spotty parts wise.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
As said before, run from this boat.
Its a $200 trailer with a worthless boat that needs $1000 worth of repairs BUT the parts are not available and no mechanic will work on it.

Outboard powered cuddy cabin boats are rare.
Mercury Yamaha Evinrude or Johnson outboards.

Whether you buy an outboard, or an i/o, consider what dealerships are in your local area for service.
A close dealer for service or parts is very important.