Outboard motor manual tilt assistant -

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
The pic is not the best, but it shows how I made this contraption from 2 small pieces of outdoor 2 x 4, and 1 piece of hard yellow pine.
A hardware hook is screwed into the front of the base of the "assistant". A few wraps of gorilla tape on the hook are used to take the grip bite
where the hook grabs the cowling. Visualize that the small stand is an outboard motor,
and that the hardware hook is underneath the cowling handle, and you will get the idea.

The base 2 x 4 is 8" long, and the 1 x 4 yellow pine is 35" high. Note the hole for a thumb grip at the top.
A second piece of 2 x 4 is cut to 45 degree angles and screwed to the bottom and upright piece for rigidity and support.
Not visible, but on the bottom 2 x 4 is a piece of rubber backed carpeting epoxied to the base bottom.

I tested it on my boat prior to the snowstorm, and it works great. The measurements can be customized to a person's size,
and their position used when raising/lowering the motor. Some things needs need to be "felt out" and measurements taken.
I can say that this works fine for me as an "assistant" for leverage, but cannot make any guarantees otherwise.

Happy tilting!

Attachments

• photo260657.JPG
    photo260657.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 6

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
Right, although similar in design, I was not aware that the Garelick motor tilter existed. Its diagram shows the operator in front of the motor, and apparently standing on the boat floor level.

I am using my wooden model on a Nissan 18hp outboard, and I stand on the raised floor deck next to the motor when I raise
and lower it. That is why I mentioned "positioning" as a primary criteria for measurements if somebody wanted to customize their model.

I am glad that somebody else saw a need for such an apparatus, and that their product is on the market.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

This is the first time that i have answered to my own post twice, but I took a new pic and I found a new use for my wooden assistant.
The wooden assistant has been working great on my outboard motor, making the tilt up and down much easier.

I had occasion to buy a new utility trailer, with a typical lift gate on the back. I tried my wooden assistant on the lift gate to raise and lower it,
in similar fashion to an outboard motor. It worked great! Attached is a pic to show it much clearer. It is shown on the lift gate, but you can just imagine that the hook would be in the cowling grab handle for an outboard motor.

Attachments

• photo263065.JPG
    photo263065.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 4

RLB3

Recruit
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. It didn't occur to me to look at Garelick. ​Ralph