Listen to this garbage.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
So an old Friend of mine from a metal shop I worked at 30 years ago gave me his 6 hp suzuki to rebuild lower unit. So I did and gave him a great deal because we are still friends. (funny thing is it was my motor I sold him about 25 years ago)
Well his coworker, who I worked with also gives me a 1972 4 hp he cannot keep running. The coworker ( we'll call him Bob just for story) well Bob explained that when he tries to start it, it will only start for a second with carburetor cleaner then die. Bob says that the top knob on motor is the throttle and that it only has a neutral and forward gear. Bob just received this motor, don't know how. Well I bring little motor home, and pop the top off, and quickly realize that top knob is idle adjustment, bottom knob is w.o.t adjustment, and what he thought was gear shift was actually the throttle lever.
So, finding this out was a good thing so I texted Bob and explained in text details I found out so he would know how to run 4 hp Johnson.
Well he texts me back with all capital letters that I am wrong and he has seen pictures that contradict what I told him, with 3 explanation marks. So, I not getting mad yet, (OK maybe a little bit) I send him diagram from this site's part guide showing him part 19, throttle lever. And asked also no need to act like that. ( even when I worked with him 30 years ago, he was a know it all)
Well I waited for him to contact me back with at least a remark of whoops, my bad, or some sort of O.k I didn't realize that. But, nothing, no acknowledgement of his misunderstanding.
Next day I tell him that I choose not to work on his motor, that he can pick it up whenever. But I do not say why.
I never really liked this guy because he was always a smartass, so I unfortunately went down to his level and bet him $100 that I was right. Still no answer from him. I guess I need to grow up a little.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
MOD EDIT - Sorry. Agree or disagree, we can't go there.

yes they do

Last edited by a moderator:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to admit, I try my best to keep my cool. But sadly I do loose it sometimes and I need to work on that part of my character trait. It is so easy to tell others what they should do in such situations, but a lot harder to do the same yourself. Try to keep you composure and allow this to blow over. You blood pressure will like you for doing that. And YES, I need to practice what I preach as well. Seems we all have a threshold limit, and some are a lot lower then others. :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Moved

This is now a discussion about not fixing that outboard.

Welcome to small business ownership. Aint dealing w the public great sometimes?

Hope this and the impatient parts order guy arent 25% of your 'current' work load.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Best answer I have for self made Einsteins is" If I agree with you we'll both be wrong".
Mike

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Why is this even a topic on a boating forum? I used to work in a union factory and I can tell you dozens of stories about people even worse than the OB motor guy. But I won't bother because it really doesn't fit here.

Now, wanna hear about my mother-in-law?......LOL.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why is this even a topic on a boating forum? I used to work in a union factory and I can tell you dozens of stories about people even worse than the OB motor guy. But I won't bother because it really doesn't fit here.

Now, wanna hear about my mother-in-law?......LOL.

Good question, Jim. I guess because it has an outboard mentioned in the story.

The 2nd question - NO! :D

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Good question, Jim. I guess because it has an outboard mentioned in the story.

The 2nd question - NO! :D
Well, pfooey, I'll tell you anyway.

When my Father-In-Law died she gave me his OB motor. Along with it came her Father's OB. They are both Martin 60s that were bought together in 1949, and were only 3 serial numbers apart. They both run like champs, and were truly the basis for my collection.

So there, it's outboard motor related and a neat story with no whining. (BTW, we celebrated her 90th birthday Sunday)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well, pfooey, I'll tell you anyway.

You didn't listen! :D

Good story though. Not all MIL's are mothers! Well they are, but you get my drift. Wish her a forum Happy Birthday.

I was blessed as well with a great lady as my kid's grandmother. But she never gave me an old motor! LOL

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was more of a question of new operator of outboard repair ethics, and if a line of conduct was crossed. But some of the comments are more disrespectful towards this forums guidelines then the original post that started it all.
I simply was asking old time outboard business men of their thoughts on how they would have addressed this issue. I must have written it in an offensive way. Sorry about that. šŸ˜•

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh, and no he didn't accept the bet, but he has since apologized. So I fixed the little motor.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
All's well that ends well. I thought your first post was appropriate. There have been a lot of non-boating discussions on this forum.