9.9 mercury big foot

Torrysmith

Recruit
Is the mercury 9.9 bigfoot to heavy for a drift boat that's going to be used in the rivers? It weighs 130lbs and the regular 9.9's weigh 96lbs.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
What is the hp rating for the boat. Also there will be a max capacity rating as well. Which is people, motor and gear weight combined.

Torrysmith

Recruit
Maximum hp is 10 and it doesn't say max capacity. But the guy is selling his mercury for 600$ so I'm just curious if I should jump on it or not

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It may be a good buy, but you don't see much of a difference in performance on a drift boat from 6hp to a 9.9hp, so it's not a big advantage to go bigger and heavier. If you were going to put it on a larger boat and use it for trolling the 9.9 BF would be good.

Torrysmith

Recruit
I've had a 6hp mercury and never could go and motor back up anywhere. But with my mercury 9.9 two stroke I can. I'm just worried about the weight

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The BF has a larger high thrust prop designed to push a heavy load, and since the hull speed of a DB is very low, it might be able to push it ever so slightly faster than the normal 9.9

​The weight becomes an issue if you're putting it on and off the boat frequently, hoisting it up onto the transom wouldn't be fun. When rowing you will need to move more stuff to the front of the boat to offset the extra weight, this will keep the transom out of the water so it doesn't add drag.

​If you already have a good running 9.9 2 stroke I'd stick with it, maybe put a 4 blade high thrust prop on it and call it good.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I've had a 6hp mercury and never could go and motor back up anywhere. But with my mercury 9.9 two stroke I can.

If that 2 strokes Merc 9.9 happens to be same rebadged Tohatsu 9.9 2 strokes version pass it to a 15 HP, both weights same and are 250 CC along a one less prop pitch to pull wot revs to max wot range if needed, only checkable with an induction tach. Conversion is less than 100 bucks, peanuts cost compared if going for the 9.9 big foot at $ 600.00

A faster response lighter OB is good to have in most boating situations.

Happy Boating

Last edited: