Which lines are which?

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to find an alternative to the original tilt/ trim pump.
Which lines on my current are the pressure lines? I'm guessing the lower ones.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Probably both lines or down tilt/trim would rely on gravity and not work well.

One question - What the heck are you working on?

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Probably both lines or down tilt/trim would rely on gravity and not work well.

One question - What the heck are you working on?

It's a 1969 or so crestliner Dane with a 1976 115hp Evinrude.
As you may have noticed it have the prestolite pump, parts are hard to find and expensive when you do.
My plan is to use a pump from an I/O so that it will be more serviceable and in the boat so it's out of the water.
I just need to know which lines are which for hookup.

GA_Boater

What you need isn't pressure lines, but rather with are up and which are down. The bottom fitting on the cylinder is "Up" and the top fitting is "Down".

Understandable to use a pump that can be serviced with available and affordable parts. Have you found the pump you want to use?

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What you need isn't pressure lines, but rather with are up and which are down. The bottom fitting on the cylinder is "Up" and the top fitting is "Down".

Understandable to use a pump that can be serviced with available and affordable parts. Have you found the pump you want to use?

Not exactally, it needs to be as short as possible, I've seen one with a plastic tank that I think will work.

GA_Boater

The new pump can go under the splashwell as Mercury did for older OBs and the pump used is a Mercruiser style. Many auto parts stores can make up the right length hoses based on your measurements and use the fittings from the cylinders and the new pump.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The new pump can go under the splashwell as Mercury did for older OBs and the pump used is a Mercruiser style. Many auto parts stores can make up the right length hoses based on your measurements and use the fittings from the cylinders and the new pump.

One person mentioned something about pressure relief or bypass valves or something, would these have been on the tilt trim cylinders to prevent blowing out the cylinders or should these be a part of the pump?