Short Classes on Engine and Boat Maintenance

graduc

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone no of places that offers short courses on boat engine and general Maintenance. I am ok with repairing cars and understand
the differences am i worrying unnecessary about be able to fix my boat. Which is easier to repair inboard or outboard

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Assuming you mean I/O........I have owned both, and actually still do. I would say the lower unit of an outboard and a sterndrive are about the same to work on. The ignition system on an outboard power head is pretty complicated to troubleshoot. There's a lot of differences between 2 stroke and 4 stroke, older and newer models. Sterndrive engines are in essence automotive blocks, but most of the bolt on parts are marine specific. I used to think sterndrive was easier since I could go to a local auto parts store to get parts. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

I'm not sure I can personally answer your question. Both outboard and I/O have their advantages and disadvantages as far as working on them.

As far as schools.....there's no better place to learn than this forum. So many knowledgeable folks here from the marine industry, and thousands upon thousands of topics from engines to fiberglass to tin. I honestly learn something here everyday. No joke.

tpenfield

Staff member
The School of Hard Knocks is where many people learn. But . . . If you are already a good wrench turner in the automobile space, it won't hard to become familiar with the differences.

I/O engines are a PITA to work on because of poor access, etc. Outboards are easier to get at everything, but the parts can drain your wallet.

All things considered from a maintenance perspective, I'd rather have outboards. From a user perspective, I'd rather have an I/O to get good access at the stern of the boat for boating, water sports, etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you understand righty-tighty, and ask questions in the forums before you work on things, we can get you thru them.

as far as maintenance goes, nothing beats a 2-stroke on the back of an aluminum boat. gear case oil yearly, plugs and impeller every 3-4 years

As Ted mentioned, outboards can be easier to access everything, however much more pricey to repair.

graduc

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for answering my questions i know i have to make the decision in the end I have found this boat forum great for getting answers

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
If you're looking to get on the water cheaply, it's tough to beat an aluminum boat with an outboard. You don't have to worry as much about rot on a tinny. The wooden decks and transoms could be replaced in as little as a weekend if they were shot. From new, I think outboards and I/O's are equally as reliable. However, if you pull two otherwise identical old boats out from under some trees after years of neglect, the outboard might need some spark plugs whereas the I/O would require some $$ in maintenance like bellows, drive service, joints and bearings, etc. The motor itself is simpler with an I/O but the fact remains that there are a whole bunch of moving parts between the crank and the prop on an I/O that an outboard just doesn't have to worry about.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you end up with, the best "tool" you will buy (immediately) shoujld be a FACTORY SERVICE manual for your specific make, year and model engine/drive. They are like shop manuals for auto'truck engines and provide all the maintenance information you need to maintain and overhaul the unit. These manuals save time, frustration, and help in preventing mistakes that can quickly empty your wallet. Don't buy a generic manual as they are not always accurate, up to date, and generally not as specific as the factory manuals.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Youtube can also be a wealth of information.Many service depts have how to vids on line .Use in conjuction with your manual and all will be fine .

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Whatever you end up with, the best "tool" you will buy (immediately) shoujld be a FACTORY SERVICE manual for your specific make, year and model engine/drive. They are like shop manuals for auto'truck engines and provide all the maintenance information you need to maintain and overhaul the unit. These manuals save time, frustration, and help in preventing mistakes that can quickly empty your wallet. Don't buy a generic manual as they are not always accurate, up to date, and generally not as specific as the factory manuals.

​I was going to say the same thing and what 82rude said too :). Factory service manual and youtube videos along with this Forum, you'll be able to keep your motor in good shape at the cost of the repair parts without the $100+ per hour 'labor'. Also not having your boat waiting for weeks for its turn to be repaired at the shop :(.