Need new batteries for my boat

crsuribe

Recruit
Hey guys I've got a 13ft fiberglass boat with a 25hp Johnson and a trolling motor that uses a separate battery from the Johnson

The batteries I got with the boat last year are pretty old and have died on me out on the water even after charging - I believe the Johnson is hooked to a starting/cranking battery that also runs the fish finder, while the trolling motor is hooked to an old Basement Watchdog deep cycle by itself...

I've had times when the Johnson crapped out and I had to troll back to dock 2+ nautical miles so the trolling motor and battery combo are crucial for me...

I'd like to get reliability and longer charge life out of the new batteries... any advice greatly appreciated as I'm too new to this to know what's good and what isn't

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

IMO for quick charge and longevity I would go to AGM. Brands would be Lifeline, Trojan, Odyssey, Sears Platinum (same as Odyssey). Stay away from the Optima type. All the AGM batteries cost more but IMO they are worth it.

Now if you want less cost, recommend Trojan, Deka

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very good advice from AllDodge above, never had any problems with Optima myself, but AGM batteries are very good. Another consideration would be getting the fish finder(and any thing else) off the starting battery. And get an emergency starting rope. Have saved myself a long paddle home before with one.

82rude

Rear Admiral
So im curious as to whats wrong with Optima.Mines been in my boat for 5 years all year.Has never left,never been on a charger and has never let me down.Winter can get very cold up here and long.

alldodge

Staff member
There have been many threads on many forums, but I'm glad you have had great service from yours. Just search on "problems with Optima marine batteries"

The marine are Blue and even had issues with the Red tops

crsuribe

Recruit
Thanks for the info! I'll go with AGM technology - does the whole deep cycle vs crank thing apply to AGMs? If so, should I get a dual purpose AGM for the crank and fish finder... if there is such a thing?

alldodge

Staff member
Have not seen a dual purpose in an AGM, not saying there isn't just haven't ever seen one. Unless your using a trolling motor or something else which uses a lot of power you shouldn't need a deep cycle, just get a start type

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are dual purpose AGM batteries. In the Optima batteries, they are the yellow top models. Just remember, dual purpose are primarily starting and will not have the amp/hour ratings of a true deep cycle. I run a Interstate deep cycle(over 6 years old-came with boat) and an Optima yellow top in my boat. Got the Optima as a "used"' battery from auto parts store because it was old inventory. It is over 4 years old and still is very strong, even after using it in my pickup for a couple of years. Invest in a good charger that has a maintain/float cycle. It will pay for itself in saving on new batteries.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The key to battery selection (besides just price and longevity) is the Amp/Hr or Reserve Minutes (the actual capacity to run stuff). You will find that when comparing group sizes (22, 24, 29, 34, etc.) that the actual "capacity" of those batteries is the same or nearly the same whether they are conventional flooded lead acid or AGM. So just because you have an AGM does not mean it will operate a trolling motor longer than the same size flooded battery. The battery may have a longer life span (4 - 5 years vs 3 years) than a conventional however. On the other hand, I've always used conventional deep cycles and starting batteries from my local farm store. With proper care those same batteries installed new were still in the boat operating properly when the boat was sold.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Like everyone else, I will be happy to spend YOUR money!! HA...I've used wet cell for years..namely WalMart brands. I'm on my 4th year with my Grp 29 trolling motor battery. I use a MinnKota Endura 55lb thrust and run it all day long with no issue. I would recommend a grp 27 for the engine and a grp 29 Walmart MAXX for the trolling motor. Just my 2cts!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Anybody ever hear of a Continental battery. I bought a Mahindra in '02; it came with a C battery (105 Amp monster). Excellent service for over 6 years. Somebody left the key on and after dropping the battery (cracked) replaced it. Still going strong. When I got my boat I got a 95 Amp battery. Has been dependable so far. (Will spin that "Rude'.It is a Grp 29.

crsuribe

Recruit
Ended up getting an X2 Power grp 24 (same as what it had before) AGM battery and a Duracell smart charger with trickler to keep it plugged in while not in use...

Turns out I have 2 older deep cycle batteries that I can use for the trolling motor until those die...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ended up getting an X2 Power grp 24 (same as what it had before) AGM battery and a Duracell smart charger with trickler to keep it plugged in while not in use...
Supposedly, that battery is made by Deka. What did you get them for?

I just looked at the picture of the X2 Power case and it looks like an Odyssey Extreme.

Just so you know, if it is indeed an Odyssey, I would follow Odyssey's commendation for chargers. Have a link to the charger you bought?

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I've had very good luck with Interstates' Marine cranking battery. I replaced it last spring after 14 years of perfect performance. When tested it still showed 75% capacity. I have had two AGM in two of my Buick Roadmasters. They were OK, I didn't see any difference from the wet cells unless I ran them down with the stereo. They were a pain when it came to recharging if heavily discharged

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you do, don't buy Interstate grp. 27 deep cycle batteries and charge them with a 25 yro, $29 Sears battery charger four times a year

After 7 years, they only measure 12.85v after "resting" for 48 hours...lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
After 7 years, they only measure 12.85v after "resting" for 48 hours...lol
Which actually means nothing. A battery can read full voltage after charging yet have a fraction of its original capacity.