Yamaha 9.9 Battery hookup

bmcd47

Recruit
I want to hook a battery up to my 9.9hp 4 stroke. Is there anything I need to do to the motor prior to connecting the battery.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you have electric start or a charging system and all the electrical is in place just hook it up.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the exact model, the charge coils are already in place, so you need to get a rectifier and then connect it to your battery.

bmcd47

Recruit
It's a T9.9XEHA, and has electric start. I plan on hooking up another battery to my solar panel (right now it just charges the house battery).

I am thinking that since I only use the motor to get away from and back to the dock, the chances of overcharging the battery are slim. Still want to do it right.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm a little confused, if it's electric start it's already connected to a battery, connecting to another battery is fine, but you need to be able to control which battery is being used and/or charged at any given time, so an isolator switch is needed. Unless you ran the motor for hours on end there wouldn't be a concern about over charging, even people that run these motors for 10 hours a day don't experience over charging of the battery.