New here. And new to boat ownership.

78twainer

Cadet
While I've grown up here on the Mississippi River here in northern illinois, and been fishing and boating on it for years. I just pur purchased my first boat friday. A 1978 mark twain with a 78 evinrude 115. Don't know much about the boat besides it's in suprisingly good condition. Anyone out here know a lot about these? I know it has 18 gallon built in tank. Guy said it's 12:1 mix... which I don't believe, last I checked most were 50:1... anyone clue me in on this.. is this guy a moron or could it be true?

Attachments

• received_411343162542605.jpeg
    received_411343162542605.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • received_411343175875937.jpeg
    received_411343175875937.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • received_411343169209271.jpeg
    received_411343169209271.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
  • received_411343159209272.jpeg
    received_411343159209272.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • received_411343172542604.jpeg
    received_411343172542604.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 0

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yeah 12:1 is way rich.....bet that thing smokes like crazy at that ratio. I have a 78 85hp Johnson that calls for a 50:1 ratio, so my guess it yours is the same. Not much difference between the 85 and 115 hp.

That boat really does look great. Did you peer under the deck and look at the stringers?

Welcome to the forum by the way!!!

78twainer

Cadet
No I haven't yet. I traded a guy for a camper that needed a new roof and roof decking. He said it's river ready. It's cold and the river is froze so I wrapped it in a tarp and put it up til warmer weather comes. He said the owner prior to him kept it in a garage when not used, and he had it 3 years, and this was first winter it sat outside. But covered. I'm gonna give a full inspection of it come speing. It can't come soon enough.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Welcome! That boat looks pretty cherry for the year. That's a good motor that still enjoys good parts support. 50:1 mix. I believe Mark Twains were pretty decently built when new. The key to keeping that one nice has been the covered storage.

78twainer

Cadet
Yeah I did a lil research prior to trading to see wat kind of parts are still available for it. Seen quite a bit on ebay. So I Felt confident that it was a good trade considering the shape of the camper.

78twainer

Cadet
Floor is solid, seats are all un cracked. Top is in good shape. Pry could use a fresh clear coat over it. New marine deep cycle battery. Skis, 7 jackets, marine cb.
He did say fuel gauge don't work.. I'll have to check wiring and stuff to see if it's good or wat the problem is there. Would like to pull my kids on a tube behind it. And get sum fishing done. And just casual boating

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Don't clear coat it. Boat gel coat is thick and can usually be polished out or even wet sanded.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Looks great for the year! Put some protectant on those seats to keep them from cracking.

+1 to ezmobee. Just get a bigger from HF and compound or polish it and it should shine like new.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome and hey to a fellow northern Illini I'm north of the quad. I'm sure some will differ but there's no better boating than the big muddy congrats on the MT and those Johnnie's run for ever sounds like it was well lubricated. I always remember skiing tubing camping on the islands it's the BEST. Hope my kids will to. Let's get rid of this cold and hope for a short flood season.

78twainer

Cadet
That's what I meant was gel coat. Wrong terming. There is no shine to her at all.

Welcome and hey to a fellow northern Illini I'm north of the quad. I'm sure some will differ but there's no better boating than the big muddy congrats on the MT and those Johnnie's run for ever sounds like it was well lubricated. I always remember skiing tubing camping on the islands it's the BEST. Hope my kids will to. Let's get rid of this cold and hope for a short flood season.

I'm bout an hr north of qc too. And hopefully all snow stays away so floods stay down

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fulton. I know this part of the river well but north of the dam all the way to Bellevue I know much better.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
NIce boat. +1 on what ez said about surface refinishing. Go from least aggressive to more aggressive until you know what it'll take for the whole thing. For the fuel gauge, try removing, cleaning up, the sender connections first.at the tank. Easy to do, worth a shot

78twainer

Cadet
NIce boat. +1 on what ez said about surface refinishing. Go from least aggressive to more aggressive until you know what it'll take for the whole thing. For the fuel gauge, try removing, cleaning up, the sender connections first.at the tank. Easy to do, worth a shot

Tbh. I wouldn't even know where to find the sender. I haven't really dug into the boat yet. Once the freezing weather goes away ill unwrap it and bring it to my house and get to work on it. Is it spring time yet?

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Savanna here
When we come up that way we usually hang out on a beach called breezy. Sabula lake is great except it has a bottle neck for the dnr and sheriffs department there's also another sweet beach north of Santa Fe beach but it's a lil harry to get into. But we usually hang in the sand pits down by 3m. Still plenty of Johnnie law down here

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome! That's a nice looking boat. My parents had a Mark Twain that they spoke of fondly as a very solid boat. Yours also looks very similar to my 1975 Cobalt that is a tri-hull, it has that same pretty blue color. I know lots of people find tri-hulls ugly but I really like it. Looks to me like you found one of those rare boats that had been maintained and always inside, which is wonderful. Good luck with everything on it!

Oh, and I'm also from Illinois!

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not soo ugly. But HEAVY. Takes alotta motor to push those bad boys. I've never owned but have had friends with them. And how's it going fellow Illini

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I jus looked at the pics. That thing is sweet very roomy and with that Bimini it will be comfy on a hot day. The boat Mech in town there ferris is fair he's gotta lot of parts and will help you out. Wot in 3mo.

78twainer

Cadet
Lots of illini in here! I think I can bring her shine back with sum elbow grease, sum sandpaper and a buffer. Lol. The outside is pretty oxidized. Watched sum vids and I'm willing to bet there's sum shine under that dull luster