Tune up cost

Have a new to me motor and I think it needs a tune up. Before calling around to get quote thought I would try and gather a basic understanding of cost and what a tune up includes.

Motor is 95' mercury 90hp

Looking for tune up cost?
What does a tune up include?

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I would invest $50 for a factory repair manual made for your horsepower and year of your motor. It will show you what you need and how to do it yourself. You'll save lots of $$$ doing it yourself. Between the factory repair manual, members of this Forum and youtube videos I have saved hundreds of $$$ on my maintenance and repairs :)

Definitely the long term plan. I was thinking it would be nice to have a trained professional go over it once before I start doing it myself and miss something.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Definitely the long term plan. I was thinking it would be nice to have a trained professional go over it once before I start doing it myself and miss something.

Finding a serious trained professional is a problem for all of us, another reason we do it ourselves. Read all the stories on this forum from people taking their stuff to "a trained professional" !!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Makes a lot of sense to me.

I collect outboards, so I'm fairly versed on what to do. Nevertheless, in the past when I have bought a daily driver I have had my local and trusted OB dealer go thru it first.

What I would consider a complete job would be plugs, points (if applicable), carb adjust (rebuild if necessary), fuel filter, water pump impeller, lower unit oil change and a general look-over for anything that jumps out. In my neighborhood that would run about $200 - $250.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Best thing to do is get a factory service manual and go from there. Start asking questions on these forums as we're here to help you.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Most Owner's Manuals have a list right at the end of booklet on what need to be done to OB according to time/run hours...

Happy Boating

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
When I first got my old boat I had a blood (wife's side) relative work on a stuck float in one of my 3 carburetors. Not only charged me over $300 but kept my boat for 5 weeks. Didn't do anything to my boat motor except 'maybe' sprayed some carb cleaner in it :( That's when I ordered me a factory repair manual. I've saved myself hundreds of dollars and a lot of time that my boat would be sitting on their lot uncovered in the sun and rain waiting for them to get to it :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The term " tune up " is from the past.-----That motor has electronic ignition that does not go out of adjustment.-----Fixed jet carburetors.------So basically it is a matter of new sparkplugs.---New waterpump impeller every 3 years.-----Use the best oil.----Compression test on a regular basis.---Low speed mixture adjustment.-----Oil injection output test if it is in service.-------All things you can learn to do yourself.