Opinions on '07 Mercury 4 stroke EFI?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys, going to look at a boat with a 2007 60hp (40hp at the jet) Mercury on the back serial #1C051324. I was wondering if you guys had any feedback on this particular engine. I love the 4 strokes for their starting and idling properties. I can work on just about any 2 stroke but haven't messed with the 4 strokes much, aside from basic maintenance.

Anything to pay attention to when inspecting this girl? Obviously I will run compression and bring my IR temp gun and timing light.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys still hoping to get some insight.

I know that the EPA forced all outboard dealers to comply with strict laws in 2006, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the '06 and up 4 stroke EFI's. Just didn't know if they had their weak points that I should be looking for.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Sorry Sutor, I'll still stick to my 2 strokes so I have no opinion.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Sorry Sutor, I'll still stick to my 2 strokes so I have no opinion.

Thanks brother. I love my 2 stroke evinrudes. This thing was in great shape and too hard to pass up. I ended up picking her up and am very happy with her. Idles so smooth and quietly. I spend lots of time in the dark on the rivers idling, so I thought a 4 stroke might serve me well. Lots going on under the hood, thats for sure!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you're happy with it that's the big thing. Maybe one of these days I'll be converted too. But I did like the old Homelites though. Which had the Crosly car motor stood on end. LOL.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
They run well, 4 strokes with pumps are kind of dogs out of the hole though, so don't expect 2 stroke performance.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Yea I hear a lot of people complaining about that. I can hop on plane with a full load in 1.5 boat lengths so I'm happy. Always a trade off right? My last jet boat had a 2 stroke 60/40 and was 1/2 the weight of this boat. I swear it must've gotten on plane in a half a boat length with just me in it!!! Was too thin of a gauge I split it wide open on a rock just above an idle.