winter maintenance in Florida?

jackrabbit66

Seaman
19' Seasport dual console / trailered & covered
Tohatsu 120hp 2 stroke outboard / tilt down

I live in North West Florida where the temperatures rarely drop below freezing. Because of this i don't do much winterization on my boat. Because I can still get out on the water some days I simply start the engine once a month and let it run for about 5 minutes to get the engine up to running temp & I make sure the steering rod is lubricated. Is this going to cause any problems for my battery or outboard? Is it necessary to give the battery a trickle charge? At what temp should I be concerned about damage to the outboard?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you are doing normal maintenance there is no temperature where you would see any damage to the outboard. In FL just do normal maintenance and go boating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
+1 on the annual maintenance and go boating.

the temp you need to worry about your outboard will never be felt in Florida unless there is some cataclysmic event.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Starting an OB periodically and flushing it afterwords if was not started on muffs is a good procedure in warn weather, never winterize mine as are used all year round...

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Don't forget to do the "normal" maintenance stuff. Flush the block with fresh water, change the gear oil, grease the zerc fittings, top off the PTT fluid, etc.