MOTOR SERVICE MANUAL

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings y'all
I need a service manual if anyone had a downloadable one I would very much appreciate it. There was a good Samaritan that sent me one some time ago but I have a different motor now.
Motor details are 1981(I think). s/n 7177854(Canadian made unit) 40 hp Mercury 2 cylinder.Has some issues but getting them repaired.

Mod EDIT: A manual would be very helpful if anyone can help me find one.

Have a happy thanksgiving to all you US neighbors from Ontario Canada

canuck:yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice
That site from Seadoosam does not cover my model. I already have that site.
Thanks for your effort to help me
canuck

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice
Me too. This old motor is for my grandson's 10ft speed boat. currently being worked on to make it reliable.Needed water jacket gasket,fuel pump work,carb cleaning. Should work like new.Compression is 145+ on both cylinders. My 1st real motor was an Elgin 1 1/8 hp om an old punt that went about 1 mph. Lots of fun.
an old canuck

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Elgin, brings back memories. In 1963 (I was 10 years old) my Dad bought the family a 13 foot runabout with a Elgin (sears?) 28 horsepower motor :)

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice
Willyclay. My grandson is 12years old and he sure would help if I asked him but it is a Christmas present to replace a 1986 20hp Evinrude which does not go fast enough. I hope the 40 is not too dangerously fast
Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS y'all

canuck of the north.

Willyclay

Captain
MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family! Please be careful with that much motor on a relatively small boat. You described it as a "speed boat" but the actual hull design will determine if it is controllable or not with all that horsepower. I believe a 1986 20HP Evinrude has a 31.8ci powerhead which is the same as the 1985 25HP Johnson that I have but with a different carb. They also came as 30HP models which had an even larger carb throat. All that said, there is an APBA racing class for these motors and they will go fast. The lower unit style and mounting height have a lot to do with speed also. Prop selection is a huge factor. I will look for an old thread that discusses what those old Johnny/Rudes will or won't do and post it later if I can find it. Stay warm, dry and SAFE!

EDIT: Here a link to that old thread I mentioned. Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ds/281518-converting-a-20-hp-johnson-to-35-hp

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain
MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family! Please be careful with that much motor on a relatively small boat. You described it as a "speed boat" but the actual hull design will determine if it is controllable or not with all that horsepower. I believe a 1986 20HP Evinrude has a 31.8ci powerhead which is the same as the 1985 25HP Johnson that I have but with a different carb. They also came as 30HP models which had an even larger carb throat. All that said, there is an APBA racing class for these motors and they will go fast. The lower unit style and mounting height have a lot to do with speed also. Prop selection is a huge factor. I will look for an old thread that discusses what those old Johnny/Rudes will or won't do and post it later if I can find it. Stay warm, dry and SAFE!

EDIT: Here a link to that old thread I mentioned. Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ds/281518-converting-a-20-hp-johnson-to-35-hp

EDIT: You could always add a jack plate like the DIY version at the link below.

http://www.dillon-racing.com/jackplate/index.htm