Just To Be Aware Of.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Been wondering which tech solution would you guys give to these mayor issues while boating far away from land.

Case 1 : You run a 2 strokes 2 cylinder outbord and one cylinder stops working due to a faulty Ignition Coil, plug, plug cap/wire or whatever, can you return to terra firme say with remaining working cylinder or to have the least piston dead drag : Remove the faulty cylinder spark plug and return that way, if so, what happens with the fuel excess collecting on that cylinder, will spit out plug hole or will simply drain through exhaust to lower leg ?

Case 2 : During week end found a tree shaded fisherman drifting towards Eaestern Island far away from coast, he couldn't start back his portable OB. Seems that during operation fuel tank air vent closed and run carb dry. The issue is that OB didn't count with a primer bulb as usual, just a direct fuel hose inserted to > internal fuel filter.

In this particular out of one?s mind case how can you fill carb's bowl if counting with "nothing" say tools to remove carb to fill manually, not even a proper container to lift fuel line above carb for fuel to flow by gravity ? He was literally highly screwed up...

Happy Boating

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I would not run with a spark plug out, fuel, fumes would ignite and then you would have a bigger problem. Just limp it back on the good cyl.. ​A primer bulb is a good thing to install before you have that issue. Tools come to mind in any boat just for safety's sake. Even a penny can in- do a clamp.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
seems to me anyone not prepared for the last two should not own a boat or should at lest call me so I know to stay home while there out, as for the first don't pull the spark plug leave it as is and limp home or use your tow boat us policy

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would think that if you removed the dead cylinder's plug, that would change how the fuel goes into and out the good cylinder because you are now changing the sequence of operation. That being vacuum and pressure in the crankcase. JMHO

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
yeah gm, and as I stated, the fumes/fuel could ignite........Booommm.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What about if wrapping spak plug cap with something proper, so there's no possible spark igniting fumes ? second case is typical on foolhardy fishermens that fish for a living down here, don't mind putting 150 grade lower leg oil or any other plug, even a car one if it will produce a spark and have their outboards going.

About second case, that idiot is fried, right ? for his bad luck, no radio to call for help nor towing services available..

Happy Boating

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
In the second case if the fuel line was connected to the tank and motor solidly and not just hanging in the tank. Open the vent to equalize the pressure then close the cap and vent tight, and shake the snot out of the tank. If everything has a good seal the tank will pressurize and push fuel into the carb.

If you have a motor that drops a cylinder you leave the plug in, and wire attached and run it that way. That has been done thousands of times if not more.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Leave the plug in, plug wire attached and just run it on one cylinder. Much safer.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Yup leave plug in on first one and perhaps try pressurizing tank to force fuel into carb...may not work but have to try!

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the first scenario, would fuel even be pulled into the dead cylinder if the spark plug was removed?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
In the first scenario, would fuel even be pulled into the dead cylinder if the spark plug was removed?

​Yes it would, not as much as with the plug in, but remember, there are reed valves at the carb intake, they close when the piston comes down, forcing the mixture up to the piston top. With no compression, it will still bring in some vapors. leave the sparkplug in and limp it home.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
This one has run its course, but if I may...... I had a power pack go out of my 90hp which dropped 2 of the 4 cylinders. With 2 working I was able to limp back to the ramp, 6 miles. It wasn't fast, but we made it. I really appreciate the redundancy of fuel and ignition in these older outboards.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Case 1 - If it was a coil or electrical problem, just limp home. If the engine has multiple carbs and the dead cylinder was due to lack of fuel, you'll likely throw a rod. If you don't know the root cause, better to turn on the kicker.

Case 2 - If you find that the vent was closed, and you have no bulb, after opening the vent back up and cranking long enough the fuel pump will probably suck the gas back up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sparkplug in or out does not matter.---The same amount of air / fuel is pulled through the carburetor and the crankcase !!--The unburned fuel would simply go out the exhaust with the plug in.----No damage will be done to cylinder or bearings either !