My first boat

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
I Just bought my first boat. A 12 ft aluminum fishing boat i researched for about 2 weeks, found a pretty clean one only it has a gamefisher outboard motor on it. Didnt see anything about that motor while i was looking into it. ? Anyone have any experience with this engine

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iBOATS,

Moved your post to a better spot in the forum.

Which Gamefisher motor came with the boat?

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Its a 7.5 not sure of the year but im thinking early 70s

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If you can locate the model number than you can find out the year. The model number should be 217-58xxxx. Also if you find the model number you can look up parts diagrams at searspartsdirect.com. Surprisingly there is some limited parts still for sale. Does your motor have gears or is it a direct drive where the power head turns 360 degrees? Does it have the gas tank on top of the motor or a separate tank?

Last edited:

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the water. First boat is always exciting but before long you will be looking at something bigger lol. My first was a 10 foot dingy had an electric motor on it , now I have a 20 footer with 220 ponies. But I still miss that dingy

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you everyone for the help lets see the gas tank is remote. I think it turns 360 deg and i will look tomarrow for those # s cant wait to get it out on the water mayb next sat

82rude

Rear Admiral
WELCOME to the forumThe game fisher you have is not the best of motors to be diplomatic.If its in your budget sell the motor and get a 6 or 9 ish hp merc or evinrude.You will be much happier..

Last edited:

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thats not good news lol how much is it worth its not trashed looks and runs good

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I would run the Gamefisher for now. The issue is getting parts. They aren't well supported at all unlike Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Some of the aircooled motors were made by Eska.One advantage of aircooled is if your strong enough you can also use it as a weedwacker .:joyous:

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Im going to use it for now a new motor isnt in the cards right now if it gives me problems the boat came with a good trolling motor that will get me around the lake til i can afford a new one

Pusher

Lieutenant
There's usually not a need for a gas motor if you're just fishing or sunning anyway. I love my minnkota.

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Im going to try it so i know if theres a prob then i ll switch to trolling motor