Help finding the right motor for a 16 foot aluminum boat please !!!!!

Totten

Recruit
I bought a 16 foot Smokercraft 2004 open aluminum boat which is rated for 40 hp and 650 lbs. I need a motor for it. I want to buy new. I will fish local Colorado lakes with 2-4 passengers. My wife likes to troll more than casting. Fishing for smallmouth bass and trout mostly. I was considering a 30 hp Etec 2-stroke or a 30 hp 4-stroke Yamaha? Do I need to go to a 40 hp or not? Or even down to a 25 hp? I don't know what these newer outboards can do on this kind of boat. I am 70 + years old and was thinking electric start and maybe electric tilt/trim.

There are no showroom dealers within 200 miles of me so I have no one to ask and no place to view the engines except on line. Price matters but reliability and longevity are important too. I had my last boat for 25 years before it had a cracked block. That is why I am trying to get back on the water.

Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

Personally, I would not drop down to a 25, you would be disappointed unless boating alone.

any 30-40 hp should be fine.
There are no bad motors out there now.

Look for easy of operation and features like power tilt.
Sit in a boat with the motor mounted on it and get a feel for the tiller, throttle, shifter, etc.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go for the max horsepower the boat is rated for and you won't be sorry. Also power T & T. I'm in the same age bracket you are and I wouldn't have anything less.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A 30 HP will suffice. If that boat is rated for max 40 HP with say 6 passengers and only boating with 2-3 up you don't need a 40 HP. After berak in period ends can go for a prop maximization to get the best water performance out of that combo, will need to install a tach for that.

Happy Boating