Battery storage

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would leave them also, but I would use a small trickle charger to maintain their 100% charge as well. Most wouldn't charge theirs and seem to have no problems, but a battery sitting will discharge on its own over time. A small really cheap trickle charger will keep them topped off. JMHO

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Depends on temp stored at. Trojan states 15% per month at 75?. When it is colder, self discharge is less.

I live in central Quebec Canada and there is not too many days above freezing during the winter. Some pretty wacky weather this year though. One morning we have frost and 36 hours later it is almost 70 degrees. My batteries are not too hard to take out so I think I will put them in a non heated porch and give them a charge every now and then.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading this, I think I am going to leave all 5 batteries (Starting, House and 3 for trolling motor) in my Pro-Line Center Console boat for the Iowa winter. January can see 30 below for a week at a time, but I should be ok.

I installed 2 minn-kota onboard chargers this summer (2 bank & 3 bank), so I will just leave them plugged in for the duration. They should maintain batteries at proper charge for the entire winter.

On my Bass Boat have a battery maintainer that I will put on the cranking battery after I make sure it is fully charged see how that does. I am tired of pulling batteries every fall!

We leave batteries in our cars all winter, so the boat batteries should be just fine!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I live in central Quebec Canada and there is not too many days above freezing during the winter. Some pretty wacky weather this year though. One morning we have frost and 36 hours later it is almost 70 degrees. My batteries are not too hard to take out so I think I will put them in a non heated porch and give them a charge every now and then.
The lower the temp, the lower the discharge rate. Monitor the voltage. If they drop below 12.5V, charge them back up.
battery.png

carldusky

Recruit
Thank you all for the very good credible information. I plan on leaving them in their respective boats, disconnect the wiring and putting a charge on them.My back says thanks a lot also.carldusky