What if any advantage do 2 cycle outboards have over 4 cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Around here, the only place you can use a smallcarburetor 2 stroke is in the ocean.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If they sold a similar 2 stroke today I would opt for it rather than a 4 stroke.
In reality, it's essentially a moot point. (or a MUTE point if you're from Rio Linda)

If you buy a new engine, it'll be a 4-stroke. If you buy an old one (and it's a 2-stroke) ......eventually it'll get banned.

bassman284

Commander
Howdy Doug,

Welcome aboard!

Well, you've gotten a lot of responses but you didn't say if you wanted comparisons between brand new (CARB compliant) big HP 2 and 4 strokes or small carbureted 2-strokes and similarly sized 4-strokes.

Everyone pretty much gave the "old" narrative. which used to be true.

Nowadays, the EFI 2-strokes meet CARB requirments and can be used anywhere. BRP claims the Evinrude ETEC will use "less" oil than a similarly sized 4-stroke engine (when you consider 4-stroke oil is "used" when you burn it and change it!!)

If you consider the small Evinrudes, 15hp or less, they're 4-strokes. (Manufacturers will be eventually discontinuing 2-stroke small carbureted engines in the US and more areas are banning NON-EPA carbureted 2-strokes.............. It doesn't appear that Evinrude, Johnson or Mercury sells carbureted 2-strokes in the US anymore))

The Evinrude 4-stroke 9.8 weighs the same (81.5lbs) as my Tohatsu 9.8 (in fact the Evinrude looks suspiciously like a Nissan/Tohatsu engine!!.....wonder why.......)
The Mercury's look like Tohatsu/Nissan engines...... (because they are!)

The 15hp 4-stroke Evinrude weighs the same as a 15hp Tohatsu.....(looks the same too.....hmmmmm)

The 15hp ETEC weighs about 180lbs. You're not going to lug that thing down the hill! (it's 60lbs heavier than a 15hp 4-stroke Evinrude/Mercury/Tohatsu and almost 100lbs heavier than a 15hp 2-stroke Mercury)

So, you might be a tad more specific. Are you asking if you should choose a small used 2-stroke?

I asked that question when I wanted a new engine for my 10' Zodiac Zoom inflatable. I had a 1977 2-stroke 6hp Evinrude "Fisherman" that pushed it pretty well, was very light and fuel efficient.

Mixing gas and oil was a pain, and I had to throw away what I didn't use after Summer, and I was worried that the lakes I use it in would eventually ban it, so I sold it for about $300! pretty good price.

I bought a new 9.8 Tohatsu 4-stroke. It's about 30lbs heavier, pushes that little Zodiac really well, uses even less fuel than the 6hp 2-stroke did and I just pour the left over fuel in the car!

If I was going to get an engine for a larger boat (25+ HP), I would get an Evinrude ETEC.

For a 15hp boat, I don't think I would get the Evinrude ETEC. But I would have to try one first I guess..but for the higher HP engines, It would be the ETEC hands down!

Cheers,

Rick
The 15 hp Etec is designed to be a kicker for a big boat. It has power tilt/trim which is the reason it's so heavy.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The 15 hp Etec is designed to be a kicker for a big boat. It has power tilt/trim which is the reason it's so heavy.
Maybe they offer it without the power tilt/trim. Most people don't need or want that for fishing boats, inflatables etc.....

bassman284

Commander
Maybe they offer it without the power tilt/trim. Most people don't need or want that for fishing boats, inflatables etc.....
No, if you want an Evinrude 15 without power t/t you have to go with the 4 stroke which I believe is made by Tohatsu.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
No, if you want an Evinrude 15 without power t/t you have to go with the 4 stroke which I believe is made by Tohatsu.

I actually went back and looked at the different models. It does appear that all of them get the power tilt & trim.

Interesting that they report the 15HP HO weighs 181lbs and the 25hp weighs as little as 150lbs.... (and is available with manual tilt)

I love my little Tohatsu but I'll say it again, if I had a boat that needed more HP (25+) , it would be an ETEC!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Seems like the OP ducked out as fast as he bombed in. If you're like most of us, the right choice is the one that's bolted onto the back of an old dinosaur on Craigslist that you can buy off the owner for $400 and throw all new electronics on for another $400. When it burns out, you restart the hunt. It keeps the dream alive, the wallet thick, wife happy(ish), and the boat running. My recent purchase was a 1975 50hp evinrude for $400. New coils, plugs, carb kit, and impeller were $130 out the door.

If you're buying new, then price and most other factors usually don't matter... Or so I've found.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Crap, a 25HP motor that weighs 150#? My old 40HP Big Twin was 143#. Trim was manual.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Crap, a 25HP motor that weighs 150#? My old 40HP Big Twin was 143#. Trim was manual.

But if you lived on the Left Coast, you could probably run that big twin in the ocean and some lakes(for now) but those lakes are banning (older) 2-strokes left and right!

In many lakes, it won't be long before your 143lb old 40hp Big Twin becomes a 143lb anchor. It sux, I know. It's the reality of whats coming.

Pusher

Lieutenant
What kind of a ticket do they give for breaking that rule?

I wonder if it would be worse than buying a new motor????? šŸ˜•

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just another scam to keep 401k's padded at our expense. Honestly, with new TCW-3 oils that burn up during combustion, how "dirty" can they actually be? I agree that the 50's 2 smokes were mosquito foggers. Remember the oil ratio of those? 2 strokes have come a LONG way. Their not your dad's motor anymore. Having said that, see my avatar. My first outboard. I'll be getting a new ETC
I will help keep American jobs. ;-)

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yamaha 4 strokes are pretty much bullet proof. Engine mantainance is key to long life of either 2 or 4 strokes.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Just another scam to keep 401k's padded at our expense. Honestly, with new TCW-3 oils that burn up during combustion, how "dirty" can they actually be? I agree that the 50's 2 smokes were mosquito foggers. Remember the oil ratio of those? 2 strokes have come a LONG way. Their not your dad's motor anymore. Having said that, see my avatar.
Not sure how emission laws keep my retirement account "padded".......(I think it could very well be the other way around....just saying....)

My first outboard. I'll be getting a new ETC
I will help keep American jobs. ;-)
AND Canadian jobs of our friends to the north!! I have to assume that you do know that Evinrude is owned "Lock, Stock, and Barrel" by BRP headquartered in Quebec Canada.

And my 401K HAS stock in that great company!!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
It's a pitty that US, Canadian, European markets have banned or restricted 2 strokes outboards use/imports.The rest of the world are still using/buying them along manufacturers still manufacturing large HP models now a days for other worldwide markets.

Happy Boating

Well you've named the only three parts of the world where any laws are enforced anyway.

(Well, maybe Australia...)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Doug hasnt posted here since his original post, back in October.

But has been on iboats recently w out posting here.

Closed

Doug, PM any moderator if you want this topic reopened.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - As usual we have gone far past the OP's question.

He didn't ask if 2 strokes are legal or not.

It shall remain closed.

BTW - Even in California on any body of water, if internal combustion powered boats are allowed ( not electric only), 2 strokes are allowed. This is not an Alt-Fact, it is truth. Look it up and read about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.