Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I'm about to build an outboard motor stand. Anyone have any good suggestions on an easy, uncomplicated, and above all, cheap approach to this?<br /><br />Any pics, plans, etc. will be appreciated! :p

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

I'm getting ready to build one as well as I need to pull my outboard off so I can re-do my boat starting in a couple of weeks.

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice

..oops: wrong forum for this post. Plz move to the right one.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Member Djohns19 made this slick one. Only thing I would add would be a small boxed in parts shelf on the front side.<br /><br />
mvc-521f.jpg

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Doc I don't know how big a motor but for my 15 Johnny I built a simple bracket and lagged it to the wall of my garage. I claimed a corner where I made a 7 rod rack on the wall, my kicker, and an old dresser that hold electronics, lines, various tackle etc, between outings. The motor stays there if I won't troll all day and winters there as well. Works well for me and I'll send apic in a day or two if I can figure that out.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Rick<br /><br />Very creative that Djohns... Just a few pieces of wood and a few bolts. Looks great.<br />BTW Maybe there IS a parts box on the other side.

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Rick for the pic! Already sketched mine out based on it.<br /><br />I thought of doing what you did Neil, but since I'm probably going to have to take this engine apart, I'ld like to have access to it from all sides and be able to move it if necessary.<br /><br />I figure making the stand 3'6" high and 2'4" wide should be enough? What do you think?<br /><br />Here a pic of my engine: 35HP Mercury Outboard w/Controls

Bobby D.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Doc,<br />Depending how many horses you have I lagged a 2 x 6 to the doorway of my shed.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dr Bones,<br /><br />I built one very similar to the one Rick built. I also have a 1986 35hp Merc. It has worked great. The only thing I would mention is to use a good size wheel. I used a 3" castor from Home Depot, I should have used 4". My basement floor is a liitle rough and it can be hard to move around. The castor has a swivel base that allows me to move the stand in any direction. If you want me to measure mine and give you dimensions I can. I would do it now, but I am at work.

fishonpeter

Cadet

I like that wood stand its cool. I have one I made out of steel (I have a welder). It has larger wheels so I can roll it around in gravel. I dont know how to post a picture on this site seems complicated. <br /> Best,Peter

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice

Jollymon: Yes, please post the dimensions of your stand when you get around to it! Thanks for offering.<br /><br />FishonPeter, I have a buddy who suggested to help me make it out of scrap steel he has...but to be honest, I think it'll be easier and less of a hassle to saw and bolt 2"x4"s<br /><br />I went to Lowe's today..checked out some caster wheels. They seem cheap enough and would work for me. I don't plan pushing it around too much..and if so, then only on cement. The bigger wheels require some kind of axel or reinforcement to withstand the pressure. So, again: too complicated for me :p

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dr Bones,<br /><br />Tonight when I get home I will get the dimensions, The measurment that almost caught me was the width of the motor support, I had to have room for the trim rams. Get the largest castor wheels that Lowes has, with in reason, and get all four with swivles. They are good not only for moving it from place to place, but if you need spin the motor while you are working on it. <br /><br />It took me about 2 hours (including trip to Home Depot) to build mine, and about $35 in materials. I had the wood so I only had to buy nuts, bolts, wood screws, and the castors.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dr Bones,<br /><br />Here it goes,<br /><br />The base is 23" wide 30" deep. The top of the motor mount to the bottom of the 2x4 base is 36".<br /><br />I mounted the uprights about 8" in from the end. <br /><br />Where the upright bolts to the base the upright is cut to about a 24 degrees angle.<br /><br />It tried to put some photos in but no luck. Here are the links:<br /><br />www.fishingworks.com/Users/UserFolders/njscuba/PhotoImages/ACF201F.JPG<br /><br /> http://www.fishingworks.com/Users/UserFolders/njscuba/PhotoImages/P1010002.JPG <br /><br /> http://www.fishingworks.com/Users/UserFolders/njscuba/PhotoImages/P1010004.JPG <br /><br />The lower unit is off of the motor, It is out for a presure check, but it fits fine, and I ca trim the motor up and down.<br /><br />Good luck. If you want more photos or detail give me a e-mail address and I will send more detail photos.

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much JollyMon! <br /><br />The measurements are almost the same as I had estimated. If you don't mind, I would very much appreciate any photos. Please send them here: j_jumpin@hotmail.com if you don't mind. Make sure it's not bigger than 1MB, otherwise it won't take it.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Here is a pic of my stand I built a few years ago. I sandwiched 2x4s together for the legs, used 1/2 inch ply for strengh, and used 2x4s for the "transom". It sets on swiveling castors. The only thing I bought were the castors, the wood was scrap I had laying around. The Homelite weighs 230 pounds, and I have had my 270 pound Merc 1250 on it as well.<br /><br />
homelite551.jpg
<br /><br />
mercstand1.jpg

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

I searched the web looking for plans for an outboard motor stand for my 7.5 Evinrude Fleetwin. Didn't find plans on the web that were easy to make.<br /><br />I ended up purchasing 2 metal saw horse brackets. The ones you put 2" X 4"'s in. I used an old 2" X 10" for the 'transom'.<br /><br />The metal brackets were about $5.00 canadian. The wood I had laying around. Took me less than an hour and works well.

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! Appreciate the input..just wish the pic links would work! - If everything goes well, I'll be putting it together tomorrow. <br /><br />I'll have to force myself...colder than a ****ens here...gonna be in the 50's over the daytime...arrgh.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

you got mail.<br /><br />anyone else want copies just give me you e-mail address.<br /><br />I can not figure out posting photo's.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You can click my link at the bottom of my post to see my stand, it is in the "other stuff" album..