• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

Well, I'm about to build an outboard motor stand. Anyone have any good suggestions on an easy, uncomplicated, and above all, cheap approach to this?Any pics, plans, etc. will be appreciated!

Re: Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

I'm getting ready to build one as well as I need to pull my outboard off so I can re-do my boat starting in a couple of weeks.
    1996 18' Premier Odeski Tri-Toon w/ 120hp Force
    1964 13' Boston Whaler Custom Center Console with 1986 Merc 35
    2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12x

Comment

..oops: wrong forum for this post. Plz move to the right one.

Comment

Member Djohns19 made this slick one. Only thing I would add would be a small boxed in parts shelf on the front side.
        Rick

"Boating is Life...All the rest is just Details"

2007 Bentley 200 Cruise
        2007 Merc. 90 4 stroke

Comment

Doc I don't know how big a motor but for my 15 Johnny I built a simple bracket and lagged it to the wall of my garage. I claimed a corner where I made a 7 rod rack on the wall, my kicker, and an old dresser that hold electronics, lines, various tackle etc, between outings. The motor stays there if I won't troll all day and winters there as well. Works well for me and I'll send apic in a day or two if I can figure that out.

Comment

RickVery creative that Djohns... Just a few pieces of wood and a few bolts. Looks great.BTW Maybe there IS a parts box on the other side.

Comment

Thanks Rick for the pic! Already sketched mine out based on it.I thought of doing what you did Neil, but since I'm probably going to have to take this engine apart, I'ld like to have access to it from all sides and be able to move it if necessary.I figure making the stand 3'6" high and 2'4" wide should be enough? What do you think?Here a pic of my engine: 35HP Mercury Outboard w/Controls

Comment

Hi Doc,Depending how many horses you have I lagged a 2 x 6 to the doorway of my shed.

Comment

Dr Bones,I built one very similar to the one Rick built. I also have a 1986 35hp Merc. It has worked great. The only thing I would mention is to use a good size wheel. I used a 3" castor from Home Depot, I should have used 4". My basement floor is a liitle rough and it can be hard to move around. The castor has a swivel base that allows me to move the stand in any direction. If you want me to measure mine and give you dimensions I can. I would do it now, but I am at work.

Comment

I like that wood stand its cool. I have one I made out of steel (I have a welder). It has larger wheels so I can roll it around in gravel. I dont know how to post a picture on this site seems complicated. Best,Peter

Comment

Jollymon: Yes, please post the dimensions of your stand when you get around to it! Thanks for offering.FishonPeter, I have a buddy who suggested to help me make it out of scrap steel he has...but to be honest, I think it'll be easier and less of a hassle to saw and bolt 2"x4"sI went to Lowe's today..checked out some caster wheels. They seem cheap enough and would work for me. I don't plan pushing it around too much..and if so, then only on cement. The bigger wheels require some kind of axel or reinforcement to withstand the pressure. So, again: too complicated for me

Comment

Dr Bones,Tonight when I get home I will get the dimensions, The measurment that almost caught me was the width of the motor support, I had to have room for the trim rams. Get the largest castor wheels that Lowes has, with in reason, and get all four with swivles. They are good not only for moving it from place to place, but if you need spin the motor while you are working on it. It took me about 2 hours (including trip to Home Depot) to build mine, and about $35 in materials. I had the wood so I only had to buy nuts, bolts, wood screws, and the castors.

Comment

Dr Bones,Here it goes,The base is 23" wide 30" deep. The top of the motor mount to the bottom of the 2x4 base is 36".I mounted the uprights about 8" in from the end. Where the upright bolts to the base the upright is cut to about a 24 degrees angle.It tried to put some photos in but no luck. Here are the links:www.fishingworks.com/Users/UserFolders/njscuba/PhotoImages/ACF201F.JPG http://www.fishingworks.com/Users/Us...s/P1010002.JPG http://www.fishingworks.com/Users/Us...s/P1010004.JPG The lower unit is off of the motor, It is out for a presure check, but it fits fine, and I ca trim the motor up and down.Good luck. If you want more photos or detail give me a e-mail address and I will send more detail photos.

Comment

Thanks so much JollyMon! The measurements are almost the same as I had estimated. If you don't mind, I would very much appreciate any photos. Please send them here: j_jumpin@hotmail.com if you don't mind. Make sure it's not bigger than 1MB, otherwise it won't take it.Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Here is a pic of my stand I built a few years ago. I sandwiched 2x4s together for the legs, used 1/2 inch ply for strengh, and used 2x4s for the "transom". It sets on swiveling castors. The only thing I bought were the castors, the wood was scrap I had laying around. The Homelite weighs 230 pounds, and I have had my 270 pound Merc 1250 on it as well.
                              Project Skanky Beast http://70silverline.250free.com/Skankybeast.html

Comment

Working...
                              X