Yamaha 4 stroke vs 2 stroke

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
Need advice. I want to upgrade to a 90hp 2 or 4 stroke Yamaha. Currently, I run a 4 stroke Honda. The country I live in mainly operates 2 stroke Yamaha's. Im told because of unreliable fuel quality that can gum and wear on carbs. I like the cost savings and ease of the 4 stroke but not sure if there is significant savings at the end of the day. I appreciate any insight and opinions.

Pusher

Lieutenant
My brother and wife get nauseous from 2 stroke exhaust if that plays a factor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Fuels where you live are non or E10 fuels ? If so, doesn't matter if its a 2-4 strokes OB, unless 90 HP are fuel injected as opposed to carb ones which do have issues with thin rubber o'rings, gaskets, fuel pump diaphragm while dealing with E fuels.That's why if wanting mentioned longer parts duration running carb dry after use is the way to go if OB won't be used on constant outings. 2 strokes weights much less and requires less maintenance that 4 OB's, down issue, consumes more fuel..

Happy Boating

drrnjnr

Seaman
We have terrible fuel here in the Netherlands too, Your carbs nearly gum up whilst walking onto the gas station to pay:eek:...........Because gas is so expensive here everyone runs a 4 stroke too, What we do, also with the vintage cars and stuff, is run them on Aspen gas before shutting them off, (its 100% synthetic) That stuff'll guarantee that your motor won't rot or clog up whilst not being used- theres a ten year guarantee on it. Loads better than Sea foam and other Snake Oil.- Its costs about 25dollars a gallon.:blue:

82rude

Rear Admiral
I would go with the majority.Talk to some owners and see why they run yammy 2 strokes .Might be that the yammys tolerate crappy gas much better than the others.Look at it this way also,why is it in deepest darkest Africa and the amazon do you see Yamaha 2 strokes all over the place?Why is it when a used 60 to 90 2 stroke Yamaha comes up for sale their instantly gone?Im a diehard etec lover but Yamaha 2 strokes are a very close second particularly the 70 and 90 .

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, non E10 fuel. I tend to agree that there is a reason locals run 2 stroke Yammys. Should pay attention to that experience -- cost is better spent on fuel/oil than repairs. Availability of parts and knowledgeable repair technicians is definite plus for 2 stroke. Different story if back in the States.

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
btw
Aspen gas sounds interesting. Haven't heard of it. Is it basically isopropanol or a fuel treatment ?

Pusher

Lieutenant
If you plan on having a main and a kicker, doing two 2-strokes would also allow you to swap fuel tanks back and forth... Guess you could do that to a 4-stroke in a pinch too maybe?

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Pusher. Have a 25hp 2 stroke setup as a backup now if I am up river and need a backup

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
Found information about Aspen fuel on a UK website. It is an alkylate petrol. Likely too expensive when considering the cost of shipping and customs etc. interesting though.

Google aspenfuel english for results

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I tend to agree that there is a reason locals run 2 stroke Yammys. Should pay attention to that experience. Availability of parts and knowledgeable repair technicians is definite plus for 2 stroke.

Go for a Yam 2 strokes 90 HP if burning more fuel is not an issue.. Me 2 strokes lover all the way..

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Go with the 2 stroke. With it you can go to your destination and be back before the 4 stroke gets up on plane. I personally love the sweet smell of the burnt 2 stroke oil. Brings back memories from 40 yrs ago. Plus the wee bit of smoke it makes helps keep the Mosquitos at bay.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
I'm with jimmbo, I love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning. ( Reminds me of fishing with my dad over 50 years ago )

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My brother and wife get nauseous from 2 stroke exhaust if that plays a factor.

I get that way when within two blocks of a diesel or propane vehicle. Actually, I want to get very Violent when I smell diesel or propane

82rude

Rear Admiral
Miss that 2 stroke smell with my etec so I keep a spare bottle handy and every once in a while I pop the top and take a wiff,lol.

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
Adding to my original question:
Read a post about 2 strokes being complicated that are EPA carb compliant. How so? If I went with a 2 stroke 90 Yam, should I stay clear of certain models or don't buy after a certain year? Thanks!