Full synthetic tcw 3 oil

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok,I have a 1993 25hp 2 stroke mercury that I'm running at 50:1 and it smokes like a chimney. I know 2 strokes smoke,but I also notice so much unburnt oil/fuel coming from my exhaust which I know is normal as well. I'm not trying to start any oil war,etc,I'm simply going to ask a question here and I was hoping for real hard facts here. I know that it used to be 100:1 for omc then powerheads blew for lack of lubrication from sitting for periods of time then it went back to 50:1,I know all that good stuff.

My question is from reading a ton of forums it seems that amsoil 100:1 can be run in any 50:1 oil ratio outboard, what makes amsoil better than say full synthetic pennzoil or like full synthetic royal purple that only that oil can be run that lean but others can't. I personally believe imo 50:1 wastes allot of oil and 100:1 seems lean so 75:1 would be a perfect ratio. Please,this is just my opinion, nothing more. Now my motor doesn't sit either and never will so please keep that in mind. I think it runs a bit rough and smokes a ton and I decarbed already. If the amsoil will help with the smoke or it running a bit smoother as it claims would it be ok in my outboard. My outboard runs like a rapped ape but it imo smokes to much and idles a bit rough. I know I may have to fiddle with the fuel/air mixture screw because I just installed a new 25hp carb on my 20hp mec. Even before running at 50 to 1 seems so rich,any help on this??? Anything I can do to reduce allot of smoke and it running much smoother is my goal. It may just be the way it runs,who knows.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Smoke does not bother me at all. I have used cheap walmart oil and full synthetic oil and the walmart oil does smoke alot more than the synthetic. But I would never run with a mixture other than what the manufacturer calls for.

82rude

Rear Admiral
If you can find a good supply try Green Earth Technologies tcw3 oil or their full bio-synth.The full bio-synth has zero smoke and very little smell.Used it in my old 90 rude and it ran great for years till I sold her.Iwould not hesitate to use it in my 2011 etec if I could get a good supply.P.S. stay at 50:1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Maybe the motor needs some minor work before trying a different oil. Your motor is running too rich.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ok,I have a 1993 25hp 2 stroke mercury that I'm running at 50:1 and it smokes like a chimney. I know 2 strokes smoke,but I also notice so much unburnt oil/fuel coming from my exhaust which I know is normal as well. I'm not trying to start any oil war,etc,I'm simply going to ask a question here and I was hoping for real hard facts here. I know that it used to be 100:1 for omc then powerheads blew for lack of lubrication from sitting for periods of time then it went back to 50:1,I know all that good stuff.

My question is from reading a ton of forums it seems that amsoil 100:1 can be run in any 50:1 oil ratio outboard, what makes amsoil better than say full synthetic pennzoil or like full synthetic royal purple that only that oil can be run that lean but others can't. I personally believe imo 50:1 wastes allot of oil and 100:1 seems lean so 75:1 would be a perfect ratio. Please,this is just my opinion, nothing more. Now my motor doesn't sit either and never will so please keep that in mind. I think it runs a bit rough and smokes a ton and I decarbed already. If the amsoil will help with the smoke or it running a bit smoother as it claims would it be ok in my outboard. My outboard runs like a rapped ape but it imo smokes to much and idles a bit rough. I know I may have to fiddle with the fuel/air mixture screw because I just installed a new 25hp carb on my 20hp mec. Even before running at 50 to 1 seems so rich,any help on this??? Anything I can do to reduce allot of smoke and it running much smoother is my goal. It may just be the way it runs,who knows.

I am not sure the 50:1 mixture is the smoking problem. It sounds like you have carb issues. Have to rebuilt the carb recently, and I don't mean merely using some carb spray, but literally disassembled the entire carb, soaked it out and installed a new carb kit? Could be all that is needed. JMHO

I also would not use anything but a 50:1 mixture. But that is just me.

boater1234

I just rebuilt the entire carb,I have rebuilt tons of them. I just installed this 25hp carb on my 20hp and I know the fuel/air mixture screw may be off a hair as of now,I have it at 1 1/4 turns as the manual says,but I have not put it in the lake yet to fine tune it yet . When I had the 20hp carb on it,it ran great but still smoked allot and was rough at idle . Now what I may think is rough and what is normal to you guys may differ. I just know these mercs run a bit rough at idle but I believe I can smoothen it out just a bit. Please understand it runs awesome, maybe I should lean it out a but more on the screw. Most 25hp mercs I have tuned seem to run best at 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated at least in my experience. I just need to fiddle with it a bit I guess.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I just rebuilt the entire carb,I have rebuilt tons of them. I just installed this 25hp carb on my 20hp and I know the fuel/air mixture screw may be off a hair as of now,I have it at 1 1/4 turns as the manual says,but I have not put it in the lake yet to fine tune it yet . When I had the 20hp carb on it,it ran great but still smoked allot and was rough at idle . Now what I may think is rough and what is normal to you guys may differ. I just know these mercs run a bit rough at idle but I believe I can smoothen it out just a bit. Please understand it runs awesome, maybe I should lean it out a but more on the screw. Most 25hp mercs I have tuned seem to run best at 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated at least in my experience. I just need to fiddle with it a bit I guess.

The fact they use swapped a 25HP carb on to a 20HP engine would lead me to believe your engine should really be running lean, not rich. Unless the actual venturi is the same size and the jet is merely larger. JMHO

boater1234

When I say rough,I don't mean like stalling or anything, it just seems it could run a bit smoother imo. What I need to do is run through this tank of gas and start from scratch. I have already ran a can of seafoam through the first 6 gallons of gas and did the 1 gallon to 1 can of seafoam decarb so I know it's internally clean and I replaced a ton on this outboard. Wot speed is incredible, it runs near 30mph with the stock 20hp carb so I know it seems tuned properly. I may be just expecting to much out of a 24yr old outboard,who knows. I would still like to know about the amsoil claim if it's a fact that it can be ran at the so called 100:1 which is supposed to eliminate smoke all together which would be awesome.

boater1234

The carbs are exactly the same except the bore size,trust me,I did my homework on this and verified this with the carb manufacturer themselves.

boater1234

Everything in the carb in brand new except for the float which was perfect.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have a yami 25 that was designed to run 100:1. Because I was stupid and listened to the gurus on the forum I switched to 50:1 to avoid engine problems. That caused engine problems - excessive smoke.

Then, I listened to internet crap again and switched to 100% synthetic. Still smoked.

Then, I listened to my local trusted mechanic and switched back to 100:1 and the smoke was greatly reduced.

Switching to Bombardier XD-50 has cured all my problems. Best oil I ever used (as far as smoke) in 51 years of running outboards.

Try the XD-50 but keep it at 50:1 because that's what YOUR book says.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Wont argue about xd-50 good oil.Before I used amsoil id use xd-100.Doubly good.

boater1234

I heard the evinrude oil doesn't mix well in gas,is this true in any way??? Also do you think the xd100 is better than amsoil 100:1???

82rude

Rear Admiral
Never heard of mixing problems myself.Personally I'm leary of any oil that says or infers that it can replace your mfg recommend ratio.Id proably use the amsoil at 50 to one though!

boater1234

They sell it near me for around $34 a gallon, the xd100,I like the pennzoil full synthetic and it's near the same price,but I may give the xd100 a shot if it's thst good. I would guess if the etecs use it that it must be great oil.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Everything in the carb in brand new except for the float which was perfect.

Put up a video of it running I have a 25 hp merc and have no issues at all with 50-1. Usually on that motor 2 things happen to make it smoke the exhaust gaskets fail and you get water in the cylinders. Or the primer fails because the ball falls out or gets pushed into the spring or doesn't get assembled correctly.

Last edited:

boater1234

Well wouldn't water in the cylinders make the plugs wet because they come out dry but black which usually means rich,the whole carb was rebuilt,I mean every single part except the float so I know it's working properly. I may just have the air/fuel mixture screw to rich. If I can get a video up I will.

boater1234

What I'm going to do is run all my gas our of both tanks and start fresh with 6 gallons of gas and 50:1 oil ratio.