self-etching Primers? Repainting outboard

rothfm

Ensign
During my rebuild process (finished 2 complete rebuild Johnson v-4 crossflows), As everything was disassembled I painted each piece, including the block, and also applied new cowl decals...... This was a painstaking process.

Not so much the cowl or exhaust housing, but the Engine "Pan". Everything on the other motor parts were sanded rough, then up to 1000 grit. However, the pan has alot of Nooks and Cranny's which makes it hard to sand(as does the TNT/bracket area)

Does anyone know if there is a self etching primer that adheres to the existing clean paint well, thus, makes the topcoat adhere properly?? No sense in spraying on top of shiny existing paint as it will eventually come off.

I've used Rustoleum regular primers, or Zinc Chromate on any bare metal, then Multi-coats of Rustoleum topcoats and the results have been terrific .... but on my current project, I want to reduce some of the time on the Pan, and I will be using my Automotive sprayer and compressor.

Thoughts.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you really want to remove paint of irregular parts that you can't easily sand, you can use "Aircraft Remover" to remove the paint. That stuff takes off every type paint I ever had to remove. And then you will have bare metal to work with. I have used both spray on and brush on aircraft remover. Depends on what you are trying to work with. As far as roughing up painted surfaces, again depending on the type paint, you could go over it with some Lacquer Thinner or Acetone and that could dull the surface enough to respray. But I'd test it on some inconspicuous area first to see how it reacts to the paint. JMHO

rothfm

Ensign
Hmmm, thanks. Is Aircraft Remover a brand name or where can i get it?

Could be usefull for areas i need to completely strip for sure.

But sometimes the original is ok, but want to prep it for better adhesion. Will look at your suggestions to see if they Degloss enough for a good primer coat

Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm, thanks. Is Aircraft Remover a brand name or where can i get it?

Could be usefull for areas i need to completely strip for sure.

But sometimes the original is ok, but want to prep it for better adhesion. Will look at your suggestions to see if they Degloss enough for a good primer coat

Thanks

Aircraft Remover isn't a name brand but a label for such a product. Multiple companies market aircraft remover.

Aircraft Remover.png

There are a few brands. They also market them in spray cans as well. But be careful because that stuff will remove most any type paint. So read all the directions before using it. Seriously, read the directions first. JMHO

rothfm

Ensign
Ok. Good thanks. Could be real usedull when i need to get some areas down to metal.

I think i will be able to use something on the pan and tnt/brackets to just "degloss" enough for a good primer.

My methods so far have come out real good, just trying to eleminate some of the tedious work that bogs it down

Thank you

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ok. Good thanks. Could be real usedull when i need to get some areas down to metal.

I think i will be able to use something on the pan and tnt/brackets to just "degloss" enough for a good primer.

My methods so far have come out real good, just trying to eleminate some of the tedious work that bogs it down

Thank you

If you want to see how my engine rebuild/paint came out, clink on the engine link below and take a look. I didn't go back with the factory paint scheme because I want it to look a little different.