Merc 115 v. Evinrude 110? Mako 17?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
The looper design is different than the crossflow, but both models were made for a long time, 1998 was the last year for the crossflow, I'm not sure if they made a 115 looper that year. The looper is a much newer and better design. Make sure the 2002 Merc has the correct shaft length.

Im not sure I can afford the merc at this time,its 750$ more than I got,I can borrow a few hundred but thats it. I also want something that I can sorrta work on myself, not all that efi stuff.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
wow. you were right, they must be great because that one was gone in one day. Found another one, a 120hp, this definitely looks like the 60 degree. Runs great and everything. [h=2][/h]

That is the big block looper that is not the same as the 115 motor. It was OMCs first attempt at a v4 loop charged motor. That one is not known to be great on gas either but overall a good motor.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
That is the big block looper that is not the same as the 115 motor. It was OMCs first attempt at a v4 loop charged motor. That one is not known to be great on gas either but overall a good motor.

So I have ruled out the 2002 merc, he is now asking 2500. Im left with a 1990'sMerc 115 or a 1986? Merc 115. The guy with the 1990's hasnt got back to me in 4 days. The guy with the 1986 has. Its a Inline 6 tower. Are these good on gas?! Well,better than a v4 big block?! It comes running and with controls, and is much cheaper. Im going to be using it in the ocean, so it has to be relibable enough.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I had a 1984 115hp for 14 yrs. I thought it was a good engine. It burnt less gas than my 82 Evinrude 140 hp on the same boat and was faster too boot. It wasn't trouble free, 84 was the first year for the integral power trim and mine decided to have a water cooled armature, and major hesitation/bogging issues, covered under warranty, it also burnt out a switchbox and the floats would routinely stick and flood the carbs. Also warped the water jacket cover. But, it never left me paddling home. I traded it in in 1998 with about 600 hrs on it and it still the sparkplugs it came from the factory with. These engines don't have thermostats, so that's one less thing to worry about or to have corrode from salt water. Overall a good engine(I thought, your results/impression may vary)
image_251148.jpg img016.jpg
If you click on the pic, it gets bigger

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
There was something wrong with that 140.Forget that it was a rude or whatever 140 beats 115 each and everytime.30 hp is 30 hp!

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
(I thought, your results/impression may vary)

If you click on the pic, it gets bigger

haha, yeah. Every motor Iook at gets sold, this one is already gone. I was able to get the guy to come down to 2000$ for the merc 115, and he said he will hold it for a few more days. Im going to try to get that! he took the add down so im good! Anything about these motors?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There was something wrong with that 140.Forget that it was a rude or whatever 140 beats 115 each and everytime.30 hp is 30 hp!

Crank rated 140 evinrude, vs prop rated 115 merc. The merc was faster. You can make all the racket you want. I owned BOTH, I know which was faster. BTW, the 140, prop rated was 110 hp

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
So if we take you numbers as correct then it wasn't a fair comparision to begin with right.Not trying to get in a scrap .You could not compare a early 80,s rude to later years where they would be prop rated.I don't know what year omc went to prop rating ,I thought it was 82.I was going on the assumption of both prop rated which you have to admit a 140 prop rated motor on the exact same rig would smoke a 115hp.That explains why my mercs outran the omc years ago.Though I have no concrete proof I believe merc rated at the prop many years before omc caught on that they were being hoodwinked.Peace jimmbo.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Marc started prop rating the inline 6 and v6 in 1982. OMC didn't prop rate till 1985. I did mention the years of the engines, so I didn't feel the need to mention the rating method
As for mercury hp rating in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. While Kiekhafer was owner, he had them being under rated. That along with better lower unit and propeller design mercs were faster for a given HP. Things started to change at OMC when Charlie Strang left Mercury and joined OMC in 1966. In 1969 the OMC V4s went thru a major upgrade and now featured lower units very similar to what Mercury starting using in 1962.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Good explanation ,thanks jimmbo.You do see where a newer buyer could get confused?Heck I was confused and ive been boating for 45 years.