Merc 115 v. Evinrude 110? Mako 17?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I know, I know, I shouldn't even start this... Ive owned both, a small merc 35hp that Ive had some issues with but now works good. and a 9.9 Johnson that never let me down. Also a merc 85, had some problems. Im looking to power up my mako 17. Both motors are earlier 90's. The evinrude apparently runs, but the owner cannot demonstrate. He said to take his work on it, but that never works out for me...Comes with all the controls and rigging. Power trim, VRO 500$. THe merc is a 115, power trim, controls, running, can test, and is 1500$. I know the evinrude would need some work, but I am up for it. Ive got all winter. But I do like the mercs. Anything I need to know about them? I belive the merc is Oil inje. aswell. I know the v4 design of the evinrude is practically bulletproof.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Well on the evinrude the newest that can be is an 1989 model. I wouldn't touch that without a compression test and hearing it run. Is the merc a 4 or 6 cylinder.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Well on the evinrude the newest that can be is an 1989 model. I wouldn't touch that without a compression test and hearing it run. Is the merc a 4 or 6 cylinder.

I believe the merc is a 4 cylinder. I really like to learn about the evinrudes more, but I sorta have a budget of 1500$.SO that would give me 1000$ working room. And all winter to work on it. He sent me another email AND guaranteed me it would run. I definitely would check the compression on it. Also Ive heard rumors that these mercs aren't the most "efficient" on gas, (rated 140hp at crank) and I know the OMC isn't either.... Forgot to mention the Evinrude is 110hp.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The OMC is a much easier motor to work on than the 2=2 100 merc. My 125 merc was better on gas than my 110 evinrude.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
The OMC is a much easier motor to work on than the 2=2 100 merc. My 125 merc was better on gas than my 110 evinrude.

Really?! a 125hp was better on gas?! Also what do you mean 2=2?! I think il go with the rude. Ive had alot of luck with them, and im not too much of a mechanic. Wouldnt want to hack at things all day. Id rather have a great rebuilt motor for 1000$ (Assuming 500 parts and accessories), and have peace of mind, than a good running, motors, that I really haven't dug into.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Really?! a 125hp was better on gas?! Also what do you mean 2=2?! I think il go with the rude. Ive had alot of luck with them, and im not too much of a mechanic. Wouldnt want to hack at things all day. Id rather have a great rebuilt motor for 1000$ (Assuming 500 parts and accessories), and have peace of mind, than a good running, motors, that I really haven't dug into.

Sorry that was a 2+2 motor it idles on the top 2 cylinders and the bottom 2 kick in at 1800 rpm. They can be tempermental but they are a loop charged motor designed in the late 80s. Where as the 110 evinrude can trace the basic design to the 50s. The Evinrude is a much more owner friendly motor as far as working on it, but not known for it's fuel mileage.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'd go for the Merc if there wasn't such a big price difference, it's just a decades newer and more efficient design. To rebuild the Evinrude will cost more than $500, so the price won't be that much different. I've had the Evinrude and now have the Merc, I like the Merc better.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I can't speak about the 4 cylinder looper Merc, but I liked my Merc inline six more than my V4 Evinrude. The Merc was faster and burnt less fuel than the Evinrude

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I can't speak about the 4 cylinder looper Merc, but I liked my Merc inline six more than my V4 Evinrude. The Merc was faster and burnt less fuel than the Evinrude

Really? The guy with the 115hp havent gotten back tome yet... Im looking at a 90hp, inline 6 merc 1200, 1985. A 1998 Evinrude 115hp 1400, A 2002 mercury 115hp Saltwater, 2250. I sold my boat for 1500, now just trying to scrape a few more hundred for motors. I think im going to try going for this 2002 merc. Either that or the 115hp Merc. Anything bad about the newer ones?!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If the 1998 evinrude 115 is a looper I would jump on it that is a really good motor.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Hmm... I'm one of the guys who recommended a 1969 40 hp over a 73 or 74 40hp. I remember a very long post for that engine:embarassed:

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Hmm... I'm one of the guys who recommended a 1969 40 hp over a 73 or 74 40hp. I remember a very long post for that engine:embarassed:

very funny......that engine is sitting in my shed right now! I replaced it with a good running merc 35hp. Wiring Harness went out the Evinrude, il probally part it out soon. Man I wish id got that 74'..... Sold that boat anyways, loved it but was TOO SMALL!!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The looper design is different than the crossflow, but both models were made for a long time, 1998 was the last year for the crossflow, I'm not sure if they made a 115 looper that year. The looper is a much newer and better design. Make sure the 2002 Merc has the correct shaft length.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You will need the model # but the looper motors are much narrower as they are 60 deg Vs as opposed to the cross flow 90 deg Vs. They also have louvered hoods so it will be easy to tell it from the cross flow.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
very funny......that engine is sitting in my shed right now! I replaced it with a good running merc 35hp. Wiring Harness went out the Evinrude, il probally part it out soon. Man I wish id got that 74'..... Sold that boat anyways, loved it but was TOO SMALL!!

I wasn't trying to be funny. I actually feel bad that you had all that trouble. I felt and still feel that that version of the 40hp was superior. But you ended up with a dud and I am embarrassed about recommending that version. Check the Smiley I put on the post

Last edited:

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I wasn't trying to be funny. I actually feel bad that you had all that trouble. I felt and still feel that that version of the 40hp was superior. But you ended up with a dud and I am embarrassed about recommending that version. Check the Smiley I put on the post

Im just kidding, I know. It was a great model motor, I just picked a bad apple. Its totally not your fault, honestly, I feltlike I learned alot out of that motor, and im going to lean alot more tearing it down this winter.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
You will need the model # but the looper motors are much narrower as they are 60 deg Vs as opposed to the cross flow 90 deg Vs. They also have louvered hoods so it will be easy to tell it from the cross flow.

wow. you were right, they must be great because that one was gone in one day. Found another one, a 120hp, this definitely looks like the 60 degree. Runs great and everything. [h=2][/h]