Injector Cleaners.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was wondering if injector cleaners, the ones that must be poured inside fuel tank will help maintain noozle, float valve and jets clean inside carb when mixed in the right fuel/cleaner proportion. Have 12 bottles of 360 Ml that treats up to 21 gallons of fuel each. Usually use a 3 gal tank, most of the fuel is consumed for that outing. The correct proportion is 17.14 Ml per gallon or 51,42 Ml per tank. Any ideas if product will work same as it does with injectors ?

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
I would believe that the product cant tell if its an injector or carb jet etc.I would use it .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
SR, being how you already have tons of it, go ahead and use it. I don't see how it could hurt. But honestly, I don't put anything like that in any of my engines, lawn, boat, car or truck. I just don't think they really do much in my opinion. :noidea:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
SR, being how you already have tons of it, go ahead and use it. I don't see how it could hurt. But honestly, I don't put anything like that in any of my engines, lawn, boat, car or truck. I just don't think they really do much in my opinion. :noidea:

I use it regularly on my car when going on highways at speed for long distances, find that cars used on heavy slow traffic and pace loses certain performance and agility which injector cleaners restores well for peanuts cost.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
It was either consumer reports or caa magazine that did a report on cleaners and they actually do work though not as well as a pro cleaning.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Used to have a slight throttle hesitation when going form idle to say 1/3 throttle due to a sligh varnish inside carb's main nozzle. Never managed to remove nozzle, seems way stuck. In 2 days let OB swallow 6 gallons of premium 95 octane with inyector cleaner proportionally mixed while running at 5000-5500 constant revs. Hesitation has disappeared bye bye...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
its been my experience that very few of those products do any thing, most are snake oil, but their a very few that do work

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Cleaners will clean SOME deposits off pintle tip but NONE will dissolve the debris that in the injector filter..This is why they lean out as injector is starved of fuel supply. 90% of the EFI's I have rebuilt the injector on failed cylinder/s had a problem.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Knowing what it takes to actually clean fuel build up issues, I honestly can't see how such minuscule amounts of injector cleaner mixed in a tank of fuel is doing anything. But that is just my opinion. If anybody seriously feels like it is doing something for them and they like it, by all means go for it. I'll spend my money on other things. JMHO

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
In my particular case was just a slight main nozzle varnish issue which injector cleaner has washed, disolve or whatever has miraculously done. Running OB at near full hammer down intervals while using product surely has helped to clean faster.

Happy Boating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
IMO it's all snake oil

Agreed. I've taken apart engines that I've put cans of fuel cleaners through, the pistons, valves and combustion chambers were still full of carbon just the same as the ones who never saw any additiaves.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In my particular case was just a slight main nozzle varnish issue which injector cleaner has washed, disolve or whatever has miraculously done. Running OB at near full hammer down intervals while using product surely has helped to clean faster.

Happy Boating

I would bet your gasoline flow through the carb at full throttle is what cleaned off the deposits not the injector cleaner. The injector cleaner works, when used at full strength on a test bench. By the time you water it down to 100:1 it doesn't do anything IMO.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Nope, the hesitation has been going around for some time when passing from idle to say 1/4 throttle just at load. From 1/2 to full hammer down not an isssue. Has taken 8 hours running inyector cleaner proportionally mixed with fresh fuel to clean the low fuel carb circuit completly. Now works as a champ throughout the whole throttle range.

Inyector/carb cleaners are only intended to clean both. If usung 2 strokes OB's, you should use carbon guard, power tuner products regularly sprayed through carbs each 100 worked hours if plan decarbonizing o'rings, pistons, combustion chambers to some extend, not at 100% though, but much better than doing nothing.

Happy Boating