mercury 2+2 115 hp

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
Question, Is the 4 cylinder 115 hp engine have the same or more power than the Mercury 115 hp 6 cylinder " tower of power " ?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The 4 cylinder is a more powerful motor overall. But it's not really a fair comparison because you are comparing a crossflow that has a basic design from the 50s, to a loop charged motor motor designed in the 80s. The Tower of power will revv much more freely but in my opinion the 4 cylinder has a more use-able powerband especially down low.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, IMO it depends on the year of the TOP. In the 70s, Mercs were powerhead rated. Later on, they were prop rated. Your 2+2 will be prop rated. If you are comparing a late model TOP to your 2+2, the HP will be the same, or nearly so. An older TOP will have less HP.

​Of course, I think you are really asking about torque. TOPs were 99Cu In. Not sure what your 2+2 is. Also not sure of the effect of the 2+2 design on torque during acceleration from idle.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, I hear that they (2+2) motor are not the best design, I am running the oil injection everything works, Do you think its ok to to run the injection system being it is a 1997 motor ?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I had a 1996 Mercury 125 2+2 VERY torquey off the line. The 2+2 operation is pretty invisible when you are slamming the throttle for skiing. They idle really smooth the 2+2 transition takes a little to get used to. I liked mine very much and I am currently looking for another one. The 2+2 is a 1.7 litre block and the oil injection is fine most failures from those are from overheats that melt the gear.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks the motor does run good, a little funky getting into the transition of 4 cylinders overall I like the motor and hope it keeps running plan to replace waterpump this fall for next year !