Mercury 9.8 (1984?), is there any difference?

Jake36

Recruit
Hi all, just joined and just recently picked up an older 14' aluminum boat, that came with 2 Merc's. 1 is a 1972 Thunderbolt 200 20hp and the other is a 1984 (by the serial #) 9.8 Canada. So been busy the last week or so, trying to find out all I can about the motors, such as where to get parts if needed, what the intervals are between servicing/routine maintenance, and just the general stuff about them..

After finding out the 9.8 is the Canada model, the questions started running through my head, is there any difference between the 9.8 Canada models and the 9.8 US models? Such as in parts or anything?

Thanks for any and all answers, Jake

PS: I tried searching, but nothing came up. And I'm sure I'll have more questions when me and my cousin start stripping,sealing, painting, and redoing the boat.

tpenfield

Staff member
You can do part diagram searches right on the iBoats site and compare the part listings of the US and Canadian models.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The differences between the US and Canadian models is the place of manufacture, and the Canadian model would also have French on any info decal or plate

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
The differences between the US and Canadian models is the place of manufacture, and the Canadian model would also have French on any info decal or plate

well perhaps but not all of them i have one made in New Brunswick with english stickers, but then it may of been a special order it has the bass pro ,,tracker,,stickers on it

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
New Brunswick? I thought the plant was in the Toronto area. It was in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. For something to be sold in Canada, the labels on it and the documents had to be in both English and French. Must have be gray market or a smuggled engine

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i doubt it was sold in Canada, i would guess it was sold in the us by he bass pro people installed on one of their packaged brand of boats, this one is a 1996 model, i will be out at my slip on friday and will look again at the made in label to make sure i am right on where it is made

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
jimmbo ,,,,, i made it out last night and took a few pictures, it dose have french tags, my mistake,,, i had never noticed them, but i was unable to find ,,the made in tag,,and the pictures came out to fuzzy to make out much other than who did the test run, so any way, thats just one of several oddity's i have ran across with this motor, the motor is a 1996 ser 0G119661

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
There can be differences. It depends on the individual model and year. Regs differ from time to time between Canada and the US so in some years there were mechanical differences. Canadian parts diagrams can be harder to find.