Ouachita jon boat max hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekalb936

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1973 Ouachita 14ft flat bottom jon boat.The plate with the max hp rating is too faded to read.The boat is 14 feet long 47 inches wide and the transom is 15 inches high.Can anyone tell me what the max hp rating for this boat is?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ouachita jon boat max hp

SLOOPY is pretending to know something again. This is one he doesn't.<br /><br />Your boat is probably rated at 10 to 25hp, depending on whether it is a light duty or a heavy duty boat.<br /><br />The USCG site has formulae for calculating safe hp.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ekalb936

Recruit

JB and cobra thanks for the tips.The company that made my boat folded years ago and it's hard to find out anything about them.

james082273

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a 14' PolarCraft flat bottom rated for 20hp tiller and 25hp w/ remote. That boat was 13' 11" long with a 44" base, 19" sides, and 15" transom. It was rated for 4 people also. It did seem to have a descently heavy gauge though, probably .070 to .080.<br /><br />A 9.9 rude pushed it fine with a medium load. You can't go wrong with a lghtweight 10 or 15.<br /><br />Hope that helps.

sinkr

Recruit

I got a 14 foot ouachita as well was wondering what would happen if i throw a 40 HP engine on it

j_martin

Admiral

I got a 14 foot ouachita as well was wondering what would happen if i throw a 40 HP engine on it

The transom will pass up the bow, over, under, around, or through it. :D

I once had a 16' ouachita flat bottom bass boat, with gunwales about 10 inches wide full of foam. It was unsinkable, and planed off nicely with a 20 Merc and forward stick steering.

I had about 4 kids at the time, and they could all run to one side and look over it at the fishies without endangering anyone or any thing.

I wish I had another like it. I've never even seen anything like it since.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If you could get your hands on a 20 that would be ideal. I wouldn't exceed 25.
I like those old Ouachitas. My buddy has an old 15x48 for knocking around in the trout tailwaters here and it is a tank. He has a 25 horse Merc and that puppy will scoot. I covet it greatly. I keep telling him I'll wrestle him for it. He's blind and had bypass surgery four years ago and could still probably take me. He wrestled competitively in college. Does yours have the thick sides filled with foam?

i have a 1970 14 foot ouchita and it is rated at 25 hp. mine is a fiberglass with the thick sides

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you really think he cares after 8 years, clb??

Status
Not open for further replies.