Fuel additives

handle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there any product out there that actually really cleans carb jets, without a tear down every time the motor starts to run rough.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The best cleaner specially if running 2 strokes OB's is to run carb dry while being flushed till OB dies, that's right after boating. Excelent procedure if you don't know when your next outing will be.

Happy Boating

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Many products say they clean your fuel system, maybe they do. I agree that running a single carbed motor dry really helps to keep the sludge from building up. Spraying anything into the carb will not clean it as it goes directly into the motor to be burned. I use a little bit of seafoam in my tank. Not really sure it works. But I think once the jets are clogged then you need to remove the carb for cleaning or rebuild.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
HF,

Why do you think that running carb dry only works with single OB's. We do it all the time in our local marina in multicarbed OB's with no issues.

Happy Boating

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I use to run my OB dry after disconnecting the fuel line and even held in the choke button on my inline Mercury 6 115HP engine. And I never ever had one problem ever with that engine. Never had any carb issues or any other engine issues in the decade or more that I owned it. JMHO!

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I should have been a little more clear. I meant if running a 2stroke multi carbed motor dry, the one that runs out of fuel first is no longer lubricating the cylinder. Unless they run out at the same. Just something I heard before. But if you wish to dismiss it, go ahead. Anyway the OP never gave any info on motor type and the amount of carbs.

robert graham

Admiral
My 1999 C90 carbed 2 stroke, 3 carbs, I drain each carb for any extended down time( several weeks or months)....it's a very good preventive maintenance item and keeps any water or debris from accumulating in those float chambers....right before I drain carbs I fog the motor....both good items, quick and easy!....

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
You say you drain them which I understand. But would you run the motor with fuel line disconnected until it runs dry?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i run mine dry and add a bit of sea foam in ever tank, and in 6 years it starts on the second key bump

robert graham

Admiral
You can't really run them dry....the motor will shut off but there will still be some fuel in the bottoms of some of the carb float chambers.....sorta like that junk that accumulates in the float chamber on the back of your toilet....

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Running the carbs dry is a good idea UNLESS you have a VRO motor and it is working. If you pull the fuel line on a working VRO the oil side keeps working and will fill your carbs with oil.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I never said it was a bad idea to leave carbs empty when not using motor. But my choice would be to drain them rather then run them dry.