Evinrude 6hp Fisherman vs. Evinrude 3hp Lightwin

dan.hawkins

Recruit
Ok I've got a really lightweight aluminum 14' flat bottom boat and I'm looking to pick up an outboard for it. I can get a Evinrude 3 Lightwin for $200 and I know it has been taken good care of and it ran two years ago, or I can get a 1971 Evinrude 6 Fisherman for $340, and I don't know how well it's been taken care of but the guy just did a tune up/new water pump/new fuel pump and says it runs really good. What would y'all recommend I get? I mostly fish lakes and don't boat a long ways. I just want something reliable and easy to work on/find parts for!

Thanks, Daniel

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I like the 6 hp personally but both are REALLY good motors so buy the best deal and the one in the best condition. Both motors have good parts availability.What year is the 3 hp that could be a factor?

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unless you want the absolute lightest motor, go for the 6hp. The full gear shift is a huge benefit, plus it will probably plane that boat with a moderate load and troll just as slow as the 3. Remote gas tank will last for days of hard core fishing.

dan.hawkins

Recruit
I'm not sure what year the 3 horse is, but I'm leaning toward the 6, I really would like to be able to plane the boat, and I agree the gear shift would be real nice. Do y'all think the 3hp would have a chance of planing the boat with a light load? I don't care to go real fast, but I also don't want to be chugging real slow all the time!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure what year the 3 horse is, but I'm leaning toward the 6, I really would like to be able to plane the boat, and I agree the gear shift would be real nice. Do y'all think the 3hp would have a chance of planing the boat with a light load? I don't care to go real fast, but I also don't want to be chugging real slow all the time!

No it won't.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With 6 HP OB correctly transom height seated, well trimmed and a maximized prop running full wot revs range while boat runs lightly loaded probably will plane on flat calm, no wind water cond. if not will achieve just fast displacement speed. Will need to install an induction tach in order to check max wot revs achieved and play latter with prop pitches

Happy Boating

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The 6 is the way to go for easy speed.About 12 mph is reasonable.The 14 footer should thrive on a 6hp.
If you raise the motor as far has possible on the transom. carefully adjust the trim eliminate unnecessary weight
it may surprise you.

dan.hawkins

Recruit
Thanks for the responses and advice! I ended up buying a 1980 Johnson Seahorse 4hp, got it for $175 and jus needs a carb cleaning. Once I get it on the boat I'll update with how it does!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Neighbor had a 12 footer and a 4HP Rude. Believe or not it planed out and ran fine with 2 guys! Super little motors. Also has 2 3hp weedless and great motors, but no speed freaks.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I ended up buying a 1980 Johnson Seahorse 4hp, got it for $175 and just needs a carb cleaning. Once I get it on the boat I'll update with how it does!

The seller always says it just needs a carb cleaning. Chances are good it also needs a water pump impeller and maybe a fuel pump.

I have a 76 Johnson 4hp, it really is a nice motor.