Is it possible that Shop Mechanic messed my Merc 500 outboard (need advice)

cubefx

Cadet
Hello,

Need advice how to proceed.

I have 68 Jetstar with 67 Merc 500. In the last 3 years I never have any issues with the outboard. Starts right away and shifts great. Took it to the shop to replace impellers and lower unit oil. Got the call from the mechanic couple days later asking if I ever have a problem with reverse? Saying that shifting is very tight and I will snap shift linkage rod and it is need to be fixed. Also there is a lot of play in shift linkage rod ant it needs to be replaced ($$$$).

Is it possible that Mechanic did not align lower unit with shift rod and by jamming it damaged the part?

Thank you for your help in advance. I know that this is a 50 years old outboard, but I feel bad by bringing perfectly working motor for the simple service and been told that I need to spend $$$$ to fix it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd be going there and looking at the damage personally. The shift rod should not be damaged from a simple impeller installation. If it looks like a new bend or something similar, they broke it. If it looks corroded from wear or age, it may have worked fine till it was disturbed when taking it apart/servicing it. Sometimes we run in to similar issues with older motors, they work fine till you disturb the dirt as I like to say.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Yep, they could have messed up something :(. If it was shifting fine when you took it in and now its not? This is why you should get a factory original repair manual and learn to do these repairs yourself. I have one for my motor and it was the best $40 i have ever spent :)

cubefx

Cadet
Thanks for replies. Went to the shop. Shifting linkage rod have about half and inch play left to right and up and down. Is it normal or the bracket up top is damaged?

cubefx

Cadet
By the way what is a proper procedure to attaching and aligning shifting rod with a lower unit? Do you need to be in neutral or reverse?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Thanks for replies. Went to the shop. Shifting linkage rod have about half and inch play left to right and up and down. Is it normal or the bracket up top is damaged?

Hard to say without seeing it in person myself. Could be a bushing or something similar. I think the dirt was disturbed....:dispirited:​