Quality 2 stroke oil?

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I saw a post earlier and someone stated "use good quality oil". What is considered good quality? Any thoughts on what the best quality 2 stroke oil is? I use pennzoil and haven't had any issues that im aware of. It runs a little cheaper than the mercury brand.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Any TCW3 oil. If you're happy with Pennzoil, no need to change.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pennzoil is good. For years I used reolute from Fleet Farm ( midwest based farm store ) it's actually citgo oil,

Basically most TCW3 oils are quality oils.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I use the Pennzoil synthetic blend bought from Walmart. I think its good enough for my 39 year old boat and motor :)

Any name brand oil is going to be good.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Years ago I had issues with Texaco OB oil. It fouled the plugs. Don't even know if its made any more.

A few years ago I switched to Pennzoil based on recommendations here, and it was real crap for me. It smoked like heck and the motor ran rough. Its my fault though, I shouldn't have gone by internet rambling.

I have been using Evinrude XD-50 for a few years now and its the best 2-stroke oil I've found in 48 years of running OBs. By "best" I mean run smooth and no smoke. Even the crap stuff didn't really hurt the motor......so if it ain't broke, dont fix it.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
FWIW, I use the cheap oil in my mercury 175hp v6 that's coming up on 40 years old. Runs great and I haven't noticed any more smoke on it than on the Mercury brand oil. These old premix engines go through more oil than the injection engines so it pays to keep the cost down.

Bkok33

Seaman
I use Quicksilver oil that I pick up at Walmart. Find ome you like and use it.

jwall116

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You didn't mention what engine you are running. There is no TCW3 oil on the market today that is going to ruin your engine, assuming it was designed for TCW3 and at the ratio you are using it. With that said, each have different additives and different goals in mind with different price points.

Walmart oil --- well i've never tried that stuff and dont plan to, from my understanding its the same as regular pennzoil. I do not support wallyworld in anyway shape or form.Many guys have ran it and they seem to like it.

Pennzoil Syn blends -- Very clean burning and low on smoke. $17/gallon puts it only $3 more than walmart stuff. This is what I run and if probably the most popular non-OEM oil ran by most.

Yammy oil -- Never ran it myself, but it is full of Moly which results in soot/carbon build up.High level of protection -- However Decarb and/or anti carbon additives are needed more often.

Merc/quicksilver Syn blend-- Also a Good oil, but with tons of Moly in it. Decarb and/or anti carbon additives are needed more often.

West marine/Cabellas syn blend -- Same as the Pennzoil with a rebranded label. Cost more than I can get the pennz for.

On the left is Pennz syn blend, the right is quicksilver premimum plus (syn blend)

[FONT=&quot]Additives(PPM):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Molybdenum -2/1050[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phosphorus - 9/32[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zinc - 15/39[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Magnesium - 0/0[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Calcium - 38/120[/FONT]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Once again reading the "Best" 2 cycle oil to use thread. And without fail, everybody seems to have their favorites with personal backup stories as well. However, I recently acquired two old OMC and Johnson 6 gallon metal fuel tanks. And on one of them, it states to use their oils for mixing. But if their oils are not available, use 30 weight regular oils to mix. Times have changed.
Johnson Gas Tank Decal-3.jpg

Just thought it interesting.

82rude

Rear Admiral
gm280 hear yah.Years ago my brother stupidly forgot his injector oil for his yammy pro series 60 .Being in the middle of nowhere for a week Valvoline 10w 30 car oil was pressed into service.12 plus years have passed and she still runs like a champ.Me, I was using penn semi for quite awhile in my 60 etec but have since switched to mystic semi only because I bought lots on sale and its easier than driving 10 minutes to America ,paying exchange ,etc.Ibelieve mystic is chevron?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are Amalie standard TCW-3, 2 strokes and synthetic oils appreciated in USA ? Like their "Better than have to be" Slogan. Chevron & Amalie 2 stroke and gear box oils are my favourites.

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
gm280 hear yah.Years ago my brother stupidly forgot his injector oil for his yammy pro series 60 .Being in the middle of nowhere for a week Valvoline 10w 30 car oil was pressed into service.12 plus years have passed and she still runs like a champ.Me, I was using penn semi for quite awhile in my 60 etec but have since switched to mystic semi only because I bought lots on sale and its easier than driving 10 minutes to America ,paying exchange ,etc.Ibelieve mystic is chevron?
When I was a kid with an OB motor and rented a small tinny up the creek, I couldn't affort TCW whatever. So I raided Dad's oil cabinet and put in 10w30, 10w40, 10w, 30w or whatever was there. When I bought my first boat and used the same motor I finally switched to TCW because I had a few extra bucks. THAT was when I had a problem. Then I switched to Evinrude oil and never had a problem again, even though the old girl had several years of a diet on what she shouldn't have had.

If it don't smokle or foul plugs, its good oil.