Outboard mount

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a dumb new guy question. I have a 1975 75 hp Johnson on my new to me boat. It has a manual tilt lever on the mount. My question is, when the motir is down in the running position should it be locked in that place with the pin in the mount or does it just rest against that pin like a "floating" position? Hope this makes sense and thanks

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
When going in reverse it will need to be locked. If not the motor will come out of the water. If locked when going in forward and you hit something it should release on its own. Maybe others can confirm this but I believe it is designed that way.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't know about that specific engine, but when locked when going forward and hitting a underwater hard object will propably break the locking mechanism along having lower tail issue. Personally like boating at the unlock position when at forward, just in case. Only is locked when reversing or lower tail will rise out of water when giving throttle.

Happy Boating

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, kind of what I was thinking. I think I would like to run it in the unlocked position if possible im just concerned about running in reverse and the motor coming out. Seems like it would have to be locked to even work. The problem is I can't change it once on the water so I have to make the decision while unloading.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If your engine is the long shaft(20") it would have the programed tilt lock. If it does and you set the lever up, if the engine does hit something at speed and kicks up, it most likely lock the engine up out of the water. That would be the end of the engine. When set to the Run position, it will lock it to the trim pin, but is designed to release upon an impact.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When going in reverse it will need to be locked. If not the motor will come out of the water. If locked when going in forward and you hit something it should release on its own. Maybe others can confirm this but I believe it is designed that way.
Boy lots of bad info on the internet....

The above is the correct answer, If you aren't sure, google the motor's owner's manual, download it and read the way OMC intended it to be.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I know my 1976 40hp evinrude releases when hitting something going in forward. Last year i hit a stump in a river and the lock released like it is designed. I did not know for sure if a 75hp would be the same that is why I said maybe somebody else could confirm.

Last edited: