How to decide between Yamaha and Merc 115?

rnourse

Cadet
First time outboard buyer here... We have an existing inboard from the late 80s that's reaching end of life and are looking at an outboard this time. It's going to be replaced by an 18' Stanley Mink that will be used as a combination recreation and work boat. The boat is our primary means of transportation to and from the cabin... hauls lumber and building materials for all our projects and then for wakeboarding, skiing and tubing later in the day. I need a reliable outboard with enough torque to pull a 250 lb slalom skier out of the water and the marina has recommended the merc or yamaha 115. But I cant figure out how to compare the torque of the two motors because the only actual figures I can find are HP numbers from the EPA. Short of numbers that arent being published... can anyone suggest a way to determine the better motor for the recreational use cases?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Both are great motors. I don't see either one of them pulling a 250# slalom skier out of the water.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will have performance issues with whichever OB brand you choose. Delivered starting prop won't be good at same time for hard work while loeaded and skiing recreational purposes lightly loaded as one condition will oppose the other. If a correct prop is dialed to achive max wot revs at work, surely will over rev and rev limiter will kick in while pulling a skiier. Surely will need to count with 2 different props for both different boating activities.

Happy Boating

rnourse

Cadet
Both are great motors. I don't see either one of them pulling a 250# slalom skier out of the water.

That's odd... Buddy has the 115 Yamaha and he can pull his son out and this son is no small kid! (As in easily 250). That and the neighbor has the 150 on a 21' Stanley islander and last year we pulled four skiers up at once. So I'm kind of thinking the 115 on a smaller boat should be fine with a single skier or dual tubers... Now if I could still get the optimax then this would be a no brainer.

rnourse

Cadet
Let me try to bring the focus back on the main question rather than get caught up in the topic of pulling skiers up/out. Not ungrateful for the advice but do need to make a decision...

How do I decide between the Merc 115 and the Yamaha 115?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I'll go for the one that weights the least, has longer warranty and good dealership in my boating area or the brand of my personal preference.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
You don't say where you live.I find that outboard preference can be regional in part.Where I live mercury is extremely popular ,when I was out in Victoria b.c. in 2012 I never seen so many Yamaha's and Suzuki's in my life.One mile across the river from my house in Soo Michigan etec is very popular as is merc.We just got a brp etec dealer this year so I expect to see more of them in the future as I'm feeling outnumbered by mercs,lol.Congrats on the Stanley,they are one hell of a boat.What does the dealer recommend?Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either motor .I just noticed you liked optimax so have you considered etec as its basically the same tech?If I was forced to choose between Merc and Yamaha I would go Merc.

Last edited:

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I could be out to lunch here, but around here I think Yamaha has the edge in resale value long-term.

Bkok33

Seaman
I think both are good motors. Everyone has there presence. Don't think you could go wrong with them.