Info and advice needed...re-power question

Buickmike

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all....i am looking to re-power my boat. I have an opportunity to buy a 2000 mercury 50elpt 4 stroke from the second owner. He has all of his service records from 2012 when he purchased it from the original owner. It has just over 700 hours on it. He is re -powering to a brand new 75hp. I can get this motor for
$2500 (canadian $).lol....whats the consensus on that price?....Its still on his boat so i can can have a sea trial. He can also get his marina to pull it and put to in my truck:)......good deal?...or....
oh yah..it includes the controls...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Hello from a fellow canuck. The vast majority of answers you will get will be from Americans and American pricing etc on this site .So basically their pricing could be off by a bit due to there being 10000 for sale there and 15 for sale in Canada No offence intended to my U.S.FRIENDS but were 2 different countries with 2 different pricing structures..As a Canadian and after a compression test that was good I would be comfortable offering 2000 cnd as a starting point at least.Due to the dollar that's 1400 u.s.d. approx.A lot also depends on where you live in Canada.If I don't like Canadian pricing I have the option of looking in Michigan as the border is literally 5 minutes away though right now with the dollar the way it is you really got to do your math really well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no offence taken. the price would be high compared to the pricing down here (even with the conversion rate).

82rude

Rear Admiral
My point exactly Scott.Pricing in Canada (motors) is almost always higher in Canada even considering money differences.and he has to take that into account.For Canada I don't believe the price is out of line maybe a tad rich but not outrageous.As an example I bought my etec 60 in the U.S.A. in 2012 when our money was 5 cents better than the American dollar and I saved almost 2 grand vs buying it in Canada.

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Pretty average asking price in Canada. Not a great price, not horrible. At 700 hours it has seen a fair bit of use, and there is really only one reason why a seller will replace one motor, with another of virtually the same size: reliability problems. Personally, I would wait and keep an eye out. You should be able to find a better deal. Given that you are Vancouver, there will be lots more motors out there.

82rude

Rear Admiral
When I was in Victoria a couple of years ago I notice a ton of Yamaha and Suzuki outboards out there.Theres quite a few outfitters out there maybe you could get a newer change over for a good price.Irented a 50 Yamaha 4 stroke rig for a day and I chatted up the owners and they loved the Yamaha,s