New 4 stroke`s in 30-50hp class pro&cons?

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In the 60-mid90`s the OMC small outboards were the choice most made here in WV,I have a 90`s 8,and 15hp,great engines.Our old ERude/Johnson dealer no longer sells these outboards,but Mercs.Looking at parts availability,relibability,etc,what brands seem the best choice today.I know many will have different opinions on this.Most people around here are telling me Mercury is the way to go.
​Any thought please?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I am pretty sure that tohatsu makes the Mercury 4 strks 50 hp and under. Everybody makes a good outboard there really is not a bad one as long as you stay with a major manufacturer. Nowadays it's almost as important to find a good dealer close to you that you trust that has an outboard you want and buy from them.

bassman284

Commander
I am pretty sure that tohatsu makes the Mercury 4 strks 50 hp and under. Everybody makes a good outboard there really is not a bad one as long as you stay with a major manufacturer. Nowadays it's almost as important to find a good dealer close to you that you trust that has an outboard you want and buy from them.
No, the 40-50-60 Mercs are made by Mercury Marine at a plant they built in Suzhou, China about 12 years ago. 30 hp and under are made by Tohatsu.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had no idea those Mercs are Chinese!I knew the Coleman line I`m seeing at Cabelas were Chinese.Only dealers in my entire area sell Mercury/The Tohatsu 40/30 jet drive 2 stroke is so pricey,$9000.60/40 Merc is $6500.I would like to look at models from Honda,Suzuki,and Tohatsu.I`m hearing the Tohatsu company is Nissan?Not good in my mind.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Nissan just sells rebadged Tohatsu motors as other bussines aside from their cars bussiness. Seems they have stopped doing so.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
Have you thought about evinrude etec?U.S.A. made .I have the 60 and I'm totally in love with it.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The OMC dealer here in 1992 was talking bunk to me about buying a offshore Yamaha 15 HP.So I bought the beautiful new White Johnson 15.When they slit the $2100 box in my truck,"Made in Mexico"!I let him know what I thought of his sermon!So now really made in USA?Sure it`s not made in America(includes Mexico)What sizes itcome in?How small I mean.

82rude

Rear Admiral
etec starts at 15hp and above Sorry I believe that's 25 and above for etec.

Last edited: